Suits for 5'-7" 160 lb. diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jtpwils

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm looking for a suit and can't seem to find one that fits.

Using a measuring tape with the help of my wife it came out like this;
Height 5'-7", 160 lbs., 40" chest, 36" waist, 39" hips, 31" inseam. Looking at the charts a Pinnacle M should fit fine but I tried one on and it was too long in the legs and sleeves but otherwise fine. It was a merino lined elastiprene 3mm so I guess it's possible it was stretched out along my limbs since I was putting it on dry.

Anyway, only a couple of the manufacturers have MS (Medium short) suits and even those don't make all their suits in that size. And I couldn't find any on LP.

I thought I was pretty average in size, at least for a middle aged guy in relatively decent shape :)

Does anyone have a suggestion on a particular brand or is a custom suit my only choice?

Try contacting Mike at Down130' - down130.com - Home

A number of SB'ers have purchased from him and have been very happy. See what he suggests
for size and try it out. He's in PA, BTW.

Thanks - I'll give him a shout.

I am nearly the exact same size except waist is 33 and hips 36 and wear a Pinnacle merino 3 mil size medium and the same suit in 5mm is size lg short. The 3 mm is a little long in the legs( only about an inch, arms are fine but I have long arms relative to height) and the 5mm fits like a glove. Their size charts are a bit off and the suits run small.

Very close to my stats; I wear a medium sized BARE 3mm in warm water, and the double 7mm Arctic combo for cold and both fit very well.

Almost my stats exactly and i use a stock tls350 medium. It's not perfect but darn close and i prefer a little give anyway.

Thanks guys. I emailed Down130 and haven't heard back yet.
Could I be right as far as the Pinnacle 3mil stretching when I put it on? Will suits move and fit differently when they get wet? I was also thinking about the Bare Velocity 3/2 which LP now has in stock in M and MS.

Yes they will. Water will actually help a tight suit to fit a little looser. But if it's really snug then it's time to go up a size. And as I found out the thicker the suit the larger the size I needed.

I was also thinking about the Bare Velocity 3/2 which LP now has in stock in M and MS.

Close to the same size as you and tried both the bare sizes and found the ms to be a little short as far as reaching up. The medium seem to fit very well. I'm trying a cheep Henderson from LP. Should be in soon and will try it on and post back. At $75 it was to good a deal to pass up. I only plan on doing one warm water trip and didn't want to spend a couple hundred on a suit for one week.

r2t - which size of that Hendersen suit did you order? I'd appreciate your feedback after you've had a chance to try it on. At $75 it might be worth buying it and just putting it on ebay if it doesn't fit.
Close to the same size as you
What's close....height?
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom