Suitless in Alaska

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snowbear

NOK
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I'll post this in Basic Scuba just for Uncle Pug's benefit. It can be moved when he's allowed back in the exposure forum - when his probation is over:54:

Well, I sent my drysuit off for yet another round of alterations. Maybe this time Diving Concepts will send it back for someone my size? They will also deal with the delaminating boots (a warranty issue). Since it will be about 4 weeks until the suit returns to me, I'm going to hold off on getting the new hood installed. By the time it gets here the water temps will be getting warmer and I'll be packing to head south to the balmy PNW anyway. Hopefully the neck seal will hold up through the summer. When it blows (or seems about to), I'll make the descision the whether to go with the neoprene or latex. Maybe by then someone will have answered my question here

Meanwhile - I was talking to the guy I was hired on with. He's from Michigan, was an avid diver in the great lakes. He then got married, moved to AK for a new job and has only dived for FD training dives since getting here. He bought a new drysuit just before moving. He said it only has about 1/2 dozen dives on it. We talked about diving in AK and he seemed interested in taking it up again later in the Spring. Meanwhile, he said I could borrow his suit 'til mine comes home. WooHoo!! In exchange, I'm installing dry glove rings on it. This guy is about 8" taller and 60# heavier than me. The sad part is - other than the length and boots, his suit fits me better than my custom one :frown2:

Is Uncle Plug back? What banner issues? And yeah, dry suit issues can be crappy. My wife says the dry suit "pinches". At least she has one!! (By the way, she forgot she was in a DRYSUIT during a dive one time and it wasn't dry by the end of the dive - HA! Yeah, it was her first time diving in it, but she'll still kill me for this post - HA!!)

I'm not back... I'm never gone... I'm always here... even when I'm not here.

Thanks a lot Urs. :wink:

Will your DC suit be back for Barkley Sound? Are you suuuuuure????

rkr3000:
(By the way, she forgot she was in a DRYSUIT during a dive one time and it wasn't dry by the end of the dive - HA! Yeah, it was her first time diving in it, but she'll still kill me for this post - HA!!)

Don't leave town...By the time you return, your keys may not work in the front door lock....

LOL

Snowbear:
When it blows (or seems about to), I'll make the descision the whether to go with the neoprene or latex.
Should probably be putting this in the other forum, but this seemed a good place to ask, since you mention the seal blowing. I saw a suit manufacturer's website last week, that can install a "ring" on the neck of the drysuit and you can change a seal on the dive site, between dives. No glues, etc required. Not sure of the cost, but it seemed a neat idea. By the time you add the installation cost of a neck seal, shipping both ways on the suit and anywhere from a week to 2 months (yep, I know a guy who waited 2 months for his suit to come back from a seal replacment, blew it in late May, didn't get it it back till late July, about the time the water where we dive most warmed up enough for a wet suit)

Opinions pro and con on a neck ring that let the diver swap seals would be quite welcome.

Back
Top Bottom