Suit filed in case of "Girl dead, boy injured at Glacier National Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My open water and advanced open water courses were also full of standards violations. Like you ... how was I supposed to know? I learned it after the fact when I became a DM. My open water instructor was eventually suspended (may have even been expelled) from PADI for violations. My AOW instructor thankfully stopped teaching before she got caught. They were both awful. Thankfully I found some solid mentors/buddies and eventually hooked up with quality instructors for my rescue, divemaster and my technical training.
Oh my OW instructor went to work for the dive shop that has had two training deaths (both with the same instructor, still in teaching status AFAIK).

I guess I got VERY lucky. Even my OW instructors were excellent. Not into risky behavior at all. Didn’t play games with standards.

I guess I got VERY lucky. Even my OW instructors were excellent. Not into risky behavior at all. Didn’t play games with standards.
Well yeah, if you have a wreck course where you exit the wreck sharing gas single file/doing lost line drills in 0 viz (I'm guessing a mask cover), very few instructors teach at that level. Your instructors are in the top 1% doing things like that.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Let's try not to drift too far off topic here please.

Keep in mind that we haven't seen the legal response to this claim by the "Defendants"

The instructor created a FaceBook post on November 11th saying she was out of the hospital [don't know what for], cannot comment on the incident [nevermind that she DID make multiple social media comments], and prayers for the family who lost a loved one. ON THAT SAME DAY, she posted a joke about the Lone Ranger and Tonto. #noremorse #noheart #nosoul

I noticed the same thing. In her defense, she seems to post a lot of that kind of stuff on a regular basis, so maybe it is just her way of dealing with stress. However, the fact that she, during open litigation, commented on the Facebook post in Jims accident group is all I need to know about her decision making abilities. I'm sure Concannon is super happy about that one!

I noticed the same thing. In her defense, she seems to post a lot of that kind of stuff on a regular basis, so maybe it is just her way of dealing with stress. However, the fact that she, during open litigation, commented on the Facebook post in Jims accident group is all I need to know about her decision making abilities. I'm sure Concannon is super happy about that one!
You mean, since he’s a member of the group? As is all of his team?

She did say this on Jim's FB accident group:

Just remember there are two sides to every story. The majority of that complaint is absolutely false. There is no way it will go to trial. The only person that could have saved her life was the person that was too busy taking pictures. Bob Gentry.

I can't understand how anyone could say this.

Putting someone in two wetsuits at any time
Not sure I agree with this. Wearing two wetsuits is not uncommon. In fact some are designed almost that way with the farmer john and top overlapping. I used to dive a 1.5 under a 3 mil when our water would get really cold, until I realized open cell suits are damn near as warm as a drysuit.

I only read a small portion of the pdf Jim L posted. No ditchable lead and the buddy did not have enough excess capacity in the BC to make a recovery/rescue. I am always leery of the idea that a diver should select the minimum sized bladder that they can get away with and I am also uncomfortable when I read so many people argue that there is really no need for dichable lead and there is NEVER a reason to drop lead at depth etc..

Sounds like, if the victim had a weight belt (or even ditchable lead) or the diver buddy had more lift capacity, the situation might have been salvageable. I would think that it is possible that IF the rescuer had ditched their own lead and inflated their own BC, that the victim could probably have been brought up, even if she was super heavy. That would obviously have been a risky thing to do in 100 ft of water, but it would only take about 5-10 seconds to attempt and determine if an ascent could be initiated.

If that didn't work, I would like to think I would have removed her scuba unit, but I never would have expected to have 20 lbs of lead in pockets in the suit.

I would like to think I would have removed her scuba unit
That was my first thought. Don't leave her. Get her out of the gear and to the surface or at a depth you can get calm again. I'm not gonna fault the guy though considering the situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom