Suit filed in case of "Girl dead, boy injured at Glacier National Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes. They are national. I think there are 20-30 ISB investigators in the US and they go where they are needed.

The NPS DSO is based in Colorado, and the DSO goes where needed to investigate diving cases. Except in this case.

Why you wouldn't have the diving people involved in investigating a diving case is beyond me.

The NPS DSO is based in Colorado, and the DSO goes where needed to investigate diving cases. Except in this case.
This is particularly annoying. I know the NPS DSO. He co-taught a class at the last AAUS symposium on serious accident investigation, based on the scientific diver fatality in Alaska a few years ago. They were able to investigate and work out that weird series of events and get a full report out in less than a year. But there weren't lawsuits as far as I know.

I haven't asked him about this, I figured he wouldn't be able to tell me anything. Now that things are settled, I'll have to follow up.

This is particularly annoying. I know the NPS DSO. He co-taught a class at the last AAUS symposium on serious accident investigation, based on the scientific diver fatality in Alaska a few years ago. They were able to investigate and work out that weird series of events and get a full report out in less than a year. But there weren't lawsuits as far as I know.

I haven't asked him about this, I figured he wouldn't be able to tell me anything. Now that things are settled, I'll have to follow up.
As tempting it may be, don't lead with "Just WTF is wrong with you guys?"

More press. This is the most thorough and accurate article to date: Mills case settled. Will criminal case follow?
One thing reading this reminded me of is the handling of the dive computers, particularly Linnea's. I feel strongly that everyone involved in any way with keeping here (and Snow's) computers out of investigators hands should be prosecuted as much as possible. Including any lawyers who may have endorsed the idea, or even looked the other way.

I am a strong believer in the moral necessity of a good legal defense to the integrity of a fair legal system. But, I also think that any involvement of legal representation in any ongoing illegality should be a serious crime.

I doubt there will be criminal charges. Reading between the lines, there is no lack ill feeling involved between the disparate parties here. People are people and they'll double down on being obstinate rather than admitting a mistake, especially if its a win for someone they dislike.

One thing reading this reminded me of is the handling of the dive computers, particularly Linnea's. I feel strongly that everyone involved in any way with keeping here (and Snow's) computers out of investigators hands should be prosecuted as much as possible. Including any lawyers who may have endorsed the idea, or even looked the other way.

I am a strong believer in the moral necessity of a good legal defense to the integrity of a fair legal system. But, I also think that any involvement of legal representation in any ongoing illegality should be a serious crime.
Yes, that is one element that bothers me quite a lot.

I doubt there will be criminal charges. Reading between the lines, there is no lack ill feeling involved between the disparate parties here. People are people and they'll double down on being obstinate rather than admitting a mistake, especially if its a win for someone they dislike.
This is why we have called for the real experts in the NPS to look at the existing evidence and gather a little more that the ISB never bothered to gather. The ISB lacked the expertise necessary to do even a cursory investigation in this case, and they did not know what they did not know. In fact, they repeatedly told the witnesses they didn't know anything about diving, and they often asked the witnesses to explain things to them that they did not understand (like how a dry suit hose or a BCD works). The AUSA relied on their incomplete report and explanations in making her charging decision.

Next, somebody at the US Attorney's Office in Montana needs to take an objective look at all the evidence, and have someone competent explain it to them if they don't understand it. I hope there is someone there who isn't obstinate.

Back
Top Bottom