Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jokeborn

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am new to diving and underwater photography. Are there any tricks to limit the particle reflection?

Use an external strobe and position it as far away from the lens as possible. object is to reflect to light hitting the particle away from the lens. Also aim the the strobe so that the light emitted from the strobe hits the subject and does NOT strike the water between the subject and the camera. in other words for all but very close macro work point the strobe straight out parallel with the lens, and do not try to aim it at the subject.

If you don't want the inconvenience of an external strobe (definitive solution) some of the newer small digital housings on the market come with a built-in diffuser plate over the internal strobe. I like to dive with a small digital camera in my BC pocket so I don't want an external strobe. My Sony doesn't have this diffuser and when I saw the same photo taken by buddies with a diffuser, there was quite a significant improvement.

I've been doing underwater photography for several years, but I've never used a strobe. I worked on a project http://www.waterproofkids.com (the cover photos are mine) where I just used an A40 in a Canon housing with no external flash. I took probably 50 pictures before I got a good shot lots of backscatter, but it is all in water no deeper than 10ft (pool). Would an external flash set low help this? I just bought a YS-90 auto and I'm planning to use it for a similar project in a pool. I recently went to Belieze and the built in flash worked great for close up shots, but didn't do anything for mid to far shots, so I'm sure the YS-90 will work great for these, but will it help in shallow water?
Thanks,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom