Suggestions to keep my hands warmer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vampyre

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
To start out I will be getting a dry suit in October when my LDS does its sale. Untill then Im wet. 7mm merino pinnacle, 7/3 hooded vest, 7mm barracuda merino boots.

Down to 39.6, the coldest my temp gauge has read, im pretty much ok everywhere but my hands. My hands go numb after about 10 mins. 14 mins is the absolute max I can spend down in those temps before having to go up a thermocline. Currently Im using aqualung 5mm kevlar 5 finger gloves. I recently got the Pinnacle neo 5mm merino gloves and will be trying them out this weekend. But I dont know what depths are planned just yet. In the upper 40's to low 50's im ok for the entire dive.

If these new merino gloves wont cut it what would be some other suggestions. I was thinking of latex gloves under the gloves? Maybe a 3 finger mitten type glove?

When I do go dry I will be doing dry gloves and boots. But till then looking to keep my hands a bit warmer.

Thanks!

latex gloves under the gloves? Maybe a 3 finger mitten type glove?

When I do go dry I will be doing dry gloves and boots. But till then looking to keep my hands a bit warmer.

Thanks!

Being warm is a "whole body" concept.

If you want warmer hands, you'll first need a warmer head and a warmer core, which may or may not be possible with your current condition.

Some parts of your body get priority for warm blood, in order to keep you alive. Your head is one of these parts, as is your core (where all you organs are).

The side-effecft of this is that when your body temperature drops, hands and feet are the first to get their blood supply cut down, which is why they get cold first.

Warm hands and feet requires that you keep everything else warm, which in your case is going to require a drysuit. Once you get a drysuit, drygloves and warm underwear, you should be fine.

Flots.

Make sure your gloves are not too tight. It is very easy to cut off the circulation you need to keep the warmer blood flow going.

You're certainly pushing the wet envelope so don't count on a miracle cure.

My suggestion would be a gauntlet glove. The long cuff gives good closure and doubles up on the wrist where blood runs close to the skin. I agree with the less than tight fit. Your palms can warm a little water that can circulate to the finger tips when flexed.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom