heated under gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lermontov

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
anyone had any experience with the santi heated under glove?- I have tech heated flex 2 and use dry gloves in 8º water near my home but was considering getting the heated underglove.

My concern is the fiddle factor and connecting the plugs that come from the undersuit, do you have the connection inside the latex cuff or outside ? -also how thick are they ? My fists are quite large and are a squeeze to get them in the sitech rings with my merino liners, any thicker than that ide be worried about damaging the wiring.

is it really worth the money /hassle -how much longer does it extend your dive before your hands are cold, im ok for an hour but any longer i lose dexterity due to cold fingers

We dive 8/9 degrees pretty frequently with dives up to 2 hours or so but generally fingers are OK in dry gloves with neoprene wet gloves (3mm) as liners.

I think it's more important what you wear on core and what you eat pre dive at those water temps.

Below 6 heating is more likely to be required but 8 or so should be doable without if you get the rest of your undergarments and planning right.

I have the Santi Gloves. I like them, but they are bulky. I had been wearing XXL Showa/Atlas 720 with some Patagonia Fleece liners or rag wool liners. I bought the XXL Santi heated gloves and I had to switch to the rubber dry gloves, Fourth Element, to fit the liners in them. I also use the Si-Tec rings. I pull the cords for the gloves through the the seals. Hold the plug in your palm and carefully pull them through. The plug is on the upper wrist on the Santi Gloves so there isn't another way to do it. I've found it easiest to plug the glove in using both hands, and then put the glove on. I will make no claims about how much longer I can stay under water with the heated gloves, but they are really nice. I've done a few scooter dives for 40+ minutes in 40°F water and I could still feel my hands. That isn't always the case without the heated gloves.

We dive 8/9 degrees pretty frequently with dives up to 2 hours or so but generally fingers are OK in dry gloves with neoprene wet gloves (3mm) as liners.
its a struggle to get my hand through the ring with 3mm on but i will try and find some slippery ones and experiment
I have the Santi Gloves. I like them, but they are bulky.
bulkier than 3mm neoprene?- my issue is the size of my fist getting though the ring

FWIW, I've dove in Antarctica and the Arctic with my Santi heated gloves (and full heated suit) and been toasty warm on all dives. Like someone said, you hold the cable end in your palm while donning the drysuit sleeves through the wrist seals, so that the cable goes under and past the wrist seal, then plug the gloves in with both hands before putting them on. Easy peasy. They are a little on the bulky side, so I dive with the extra thick Kubi rubber gloves on the outside and they work great for me. I have big hands and at least with the metal Kubi rings, I can still get my hand through the Kubi glove-side rings with the Santi heated gloves on.

Attachments

• Iceberg Dive.jpg
    Iceberg Dive.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 55
I have a pair of the SmartTex out of Poland. Heated gloves are perhaps number ten on list of "if cold, do this," but if you've exhausted everything else they're nice. The SmartTex are 15W in each hand and not nearly as bulky (or expensive) as the Santi gloves. Gearing up involves undies, connecting the Y (which splits the bulkhead into Vest, Gloves, Socks), connecting socks and gloves, then sliding into suit with gloves on. The "bulk" of the wrist connectors sit on the forearm. Once that part is through, I then pull the gloves off my hands and finish gearing up. Last steps pre-jump are liners, then heated gloves, then dry gloves into Kubi rings.

I have a pair of the SmartTex out of Poland. Heated gloves are perhaps number ten on list of "if cold, do this," but if you've exhausted everything else they're nice. The SmartTex are 15W in each hand and not nearly as bulky (or expensive) as the Santi gloves. Gearing up involves undies, connecting the Y (which splits the bulkhead into Vest, Gloves, Socks), connecting socks and gloves, then sliding into suit with gloves on. The "bulk" of the wrist connectors sit on the forearm. Once that part is through, I then pull the gloves off my hands and finish gearing up. Last steps pre-jump are liners, then heated gloves, then dry gloves into Kubi rings.
A little off topic, but how have you found the SmartTex equipment? Do you have anything other than the gloves?

A little off topic, but how have you found the SmartTex equipment? Do you have anything other than the gloves?
Socks, gloves, and some splitters/y pieces. No experience with batteries, gloves, etc. I’ve found Jerzy very responsive with any questions or requests.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom