Suggestions / Recommendations please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fly back to manila. from manila, 2-3 hour road trip to batangas pier then take ferry to sabang beach, puerto galera. ferries leave almost every hour until early afternoon. later than that, waves may be too high to cross safely.
options for road trip is to take a cab ($$$) from airport, take bus (cheap) from terminals in Buendia (take cab to buendia), or sikat bus from Malate (if you have to stay overnight in manila).
easiest way is to ask resort to arrange car to pick you up from airport and provide you your own boat. no waiting and you can get there even at night. but this is also the most expensive way to get there.

Thanks for your reply Jigo, could you possibly give me a rough guide to the prices for the different options (for 2 adults) ?

EDIT - forgot to ask how for the ferry or boat trip ?

Another Edit - is it easy to change money in Puerto (with UK Pounds) ?

Last edited:
please do a search for the rates. others have tried the chauffered route as well as the sikat bus and public bus route. i usually drive to batangas pier so i am sure only with the ferry rates which is less than 500 for two pax one way. that's less than $10. there are money changers in puerto galera. am not familiar with the rates though and am not sure if its better to have your pounds changed at the airport.

Will try search the rates, thanks again Jigo, last question (for now lol) - how long does the ferry or private boat take to do the journey ?

If you can afford it i would defenitely take a chauffered ride. I went by public bus, which went fine after all but it was kinda stressy cause we had to make it to the last ferry. As far as i recall we left Coron in the morning.. A private ride will pbb take you down 2000 pesos or more. Always surprisingly expensive.

The boatride is 45minutes/ 1 hour; depends on the waves. I recall the last boat leaving around 1600. If you get a private car you wont need a private boat cause you will make it in time if you leave coron in the morning. A private boat is pbb really expensive and more important; the big boat doesnt leave cause it's too often too dangerous. So why get in a smaller boat? It's not like there never sinks a passenger boat in PH..

Thanks Sonar, I thin the flight from Coron arrives in Manila at around 11:30pm, so should be around midday when I get out of the airport so with a private car picking us up we should just about get there on the same day (& good point about the boat :wink:)

that should work
As far as i remember i arrived the same time and just made it by public transport but for peace of mind a private car would be better

I've had a reply from one resort regarding transfers :-

In regards to a private transfer, (Private van + private boat) costs 5500 Pesos for 1 way.

So I will have to look at cheaper arrangements, does anyone know about how much an airport metered taxi fare would be to get to Batangas Pier ?

i have no idea about taxi fare to batangas pier. but its not going to be cheap. how about if the resort arranges a private van and then you take the regular ferry? from what i hear, best bang for the buck would be to take the sikat bus. i cant remember the schedule and which hotel to take it from but it was discussed in several threads. here are some:

here -

SIKAT TRANSFER
You may opt to take a tourist bus and ferry along with other people who are also going to Puerto Galera. The Sikat is a tourist bus with a direct ferry connection from the town of Puerto Galera to/from Manila

• Pick-up point at City State tower Hotel, Mabini St. Cor. Padre Faura, Malate, Manila.

• Tourist bus boarding time at 7:45 am and the bus departs at 8:00 am (Manila-Batangas).

• Ferry boarding time depending on time of arrival at the Batangas Port 10:30 am or 11:30 am.

• Estimated arrival time in Puerto Galera at 11:30 am or 12:30 pm.

Grab a taxi to the Passay JAM bus station. They have busses that leave pretty much every hour to Batangas pier. I think it costs about 350 PP (or did when I was there). Fisrt bus leaves very early (like 6am) and avoids the manila traffic... If your flight gets in at 5:30, I'd be surprised if you'll be able to avoid that...:popcorn:

codman's right... get a bus to Batangas Pier... select the bus that says "CALABARZON" it's faster than the other Batangas Pier

personally i'm not a fan of JAM Transit and RCG or Batangas Star Express seems to have newer buses but they're all the same really...

I suggest you pay for 2 seats - yours and the one beside it - that way you have more space and don't have to crowd up beside some strange dude... the fare is so cheap you won't even notice the cost

have fun!!!

Jag

just a correction, its called CityState Tower Hotel with address 1315 A. Mabini St., Ermita, Manila, Philippines and email www.cth@citystatetowerhotel.com.ph.

Planet Dive and Dive N Trek both have in-house dive ops. I'd say Planet Dive has the better house reef with Twin Rocks and Dead Palm close by. Balai Resort comes to mind too.

I just got back from my vacation to Puerto Galera a few days ago. It was a great vacation and the diving there was phenomenal. I did 6 days of diving while I was there and had nothing but great dives. The reefs were in excellent shape, with never ending things to look at and take pictures of.

I flew into Manila from Honolulu on Philippine Airlines and since the flight was overbooked I got bumped up to First Class. So my vacation started off very much on the right foot. I got into Manila and spent a few days in Makati close to Greenbelt. From there we took the bus and ferry to Puerto Galera. We took the Sikat Bus and Ferry Service (www.int-office.de/SI-KAT). Round trip tickets for the bus and ferry service was 1200 PesoÃÔ. There was also a 65 Peso Fee for the Park Service (I think that was what it was for) that you pay on the bus. The bus leaves Lobby of the City State Hotel (in Ermita and not far from the American Embassy) at 0900. While not as cheap as public transportation it is far more comfortable and makes it easy to get to Puerto Galera. Once you are at the ferry terminal stay with the guide and donÃÕ let anyone talk you into taking another ferry. There will be lots of offers. The bus ride takes over an hour (mostly due to traffic in Manila) and the ferry takes about 45 minutes.

I stayed at Out of the Blue Villas in Small Laguna (beach right next to Sabang) in Puerto Galera. The Villas are great. We stayed in the one bedroom villa and it was huge. The upstairs had a balcony with a great view, couple of couches and an entertainment center. The downstairs also had a balcony, a full kitchen, day bed (with view of the ocean), full bathroom (super diver friendly with lots of pegs and places to hang gear) and the huge bedroom with king size bed and AC. The villa was nicely decorated and put you at ease. The resort also had daily laundry service that was free. The pool was small but nice. All in all I was super pleased with where I stayed at. The only drawback is all the steps to get up to the villas. Lots and lots of steps to go up and down, but worth it to me.

I dove with Action Divers and got a 10% discount for staying at Out of the Blue. I did 6 days of diving with them and they are a first rate dive shop with great service. The DMÃÔ/Instructors were very knowledgeable and knew the sites very well and were good about allowing me to take pictures. The dive boats were big and spacious with back roll entries and ladder exits (gear is handed up before getting out of the water). Visibility was on average about 30-50 feet and there was usually current but the 1200 dive was usually at slack tide. Water temperatures were on average 83 Deg F and I skin dove comfortably for every dive.

Every dive I did was awesome. The reefs are in excellent shape with colorful hard and soft coral and lots of life everywhere. The first dive I did was the Giant Clams site with numerous giant clams, colorful nudibrancs everywhere you looked and huge schools of fish. As we swam through the schools of fish we ran into huge Groupers and Jacks. The dive was one you didnÃÕ want to end. The Canyons was another memorable dive. As we descended to the 90 + depths to the canyon we caught the ripping current and rode it to the inlets in the wall where we encountered huge Groupers, Sweet Lips, Jacks and Eels. After the third inlet I regretfully saw I was out of bottom time and we ascended at the anchor. It was a great dive. The Sabang Wrecks is also remarkable dive. We hopped in the dive boat, suited up for the dive and took it not too far from SabangÃÔ shore. We descended into a school of Mullet Fish and Batfish. The Mullet Fish swarmed all around us and the Batfish circled us and swooped in on occasion like dive bombers. As we approached the wrecks we saw huge schools of fish and huge Lionfish, Triggerfish, Frogfish and Scorpion fish. Another dive I wish would have just gone on and on. The Shark Caves, Sabang Point, and ErnieÃÔ Point were also fantastic sites with the pinks, reds and yellows of the corals, the Nudibrancs everywhere you looked and abundant life everywhere. One dive at each site is simply not enough. I did numerous other dives and could talk and talk about them, but it is better to see them.

There is nightlife there but mostly my girlfriend and I went out to dinner and just stayed at one of the numerous restaurant bars. There are tours to the jungle, other beaches, and a volcano but we did not partake. If you are looking for souvenir shopping there is not much in Sabang, but Puerto Galera is 15 minutes away by jeepney and White Beach is about 45 minutes away by boat or jeepney.

It was a great vacation! For everyone there, Thank You! Also Thank you to everyone here on SB that gave me some great advice!

Would you consider more wrecks after Coron?
USS New York in Subic Bay.
Get the tourist bus(P600.00) from either Swagman Hotel or Southern Cross Hotel in the afternoon to Angeles. Both hotels are close-by and are in Erimta. Stay at Swiss Chelate(P1,500.00) in Angeles and enjoy the night life.
Pre-booked the bus connection to Subic with either Swagman(only few times per week) or Wild Orchid(everyday). Fare is P500.00. Ask about door to door pick up and the bus will drop you off in Subic at the hotel of your choice.
Johan Dive Centre on Baloy Beach offer all kinds of wreck diving, technical included.
Try Harleys Pub or Sheavens for room. Both places are about 200m from Johan. The room at Harleys is pretty small but CLEAN.
Ditto for the return journey.
Direct transfer from Manila airport to Subic is about P5,000.00 and takes 4hrs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom