Suggestions on getting me out of the office and going pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is what you make of it.
Just a suggestion. I think 32 is the age limit. Not sure i went in at 17. Went to Navy Dive school at 23 been working as Diver ever since. Loved every minute of it. Forget what the recuters tell you. If you are motivated to achieve something its there for you.

Thanks! I may talk to a local recruiter just to get a refresher on what they offer. The age limit is currently 34 btw.

I know and dive with someone who did much the same as you are thinking of doing. She was working an office job in Manhattan and was not liking it all that much. She saw a special promotion for a cheap weekend getaway to the Florida Keys and decided to give it a go. When she got there, she asked, "What's there to do here?" The person she asked suggested scuba diving, which she had never done. A couple years later she was working for a dive shop in Mexico and learning the ropes. A couple years later she was working as a cave guide and instructor in Mexico, and she was making a living doing it. (I will get back to her later.)

Put yourself in a situation in which you have to do a lot of diving with a lot of variety, and you will progress rapidly. If you go out and do the same dive over and over again over a period of time, you won't get nearly as far in that same amount of time.

I have never met anyone who went through one of those intensive programs such as you find in a lot of different places, the kind of program people pejoratively call "zero to hero," but I have a friend who has. He told me that when he was a Course Director working for a major shop in Florida, they got an applicant from such a program. He scoffed at it because he had a very negative view of the programs, but they gave the guy a trial anyway. He was shocked at how good the guy was. Apparently not only doing a heck of a lot of dives in a short time but doing them under the direction of someone who was intent on making you good at it paid off in this case. Maybe he was a fluke, but he was apparently pretty good.

Great ideas, thanks for the reply. I have been struggling to find mobile opportunities actually. I am skilled in web development and support of many different platforms but for some reason I have not yet been able to find location independence.
Back to the woman mentioned earlier. She is running a successful cave training and guiding operation now, but she wants more than that, so she is looking for exactly what you are looking for. She does web work, too. In fact, if you are inquisitive about scuba topics and search the web, you will run into her there. She is building the practice. It takes time. Her goal is to spend part of each year working her cave training and guiding business and part of her year traveling to different places around the world, sustaining herself through Internet-based work. The last time I dived with her, she seemed to think it was going well, and she is still working toward that life style.

It does take time to build an Internet-based business, though. That is especially true if your expertise is in web development. More than 20 years ago I learned to make web pages, first using pure HTML coding. People I worked with thought I was an Internet genius. Then they started coming out with crude web page development programs, and when I switched to them, people marveled at my skill. Today, the programs are so sophisticated that any idiot can make a great looking web site in no time at all. The skills people marveled at a decade ago are totally obsolete today. I am thinking of building a new site soon, but nothing I learned to do back then will be of any value to me. I will choose some DIY program that anyone can use, figure it out in an hour or so, and build something far beyond what I could have done back then.

In other words, what you are looking for can be done--just be aggressive in pursuing your dream and wise in the path you take for the Internet part of it.

you do know that there are more employment possibilities with PADI

I just contacted another local dive center, they are PADI 5 star and I will be able to start right into the AOW since I have my SSI OW. I will be going PADI from here on and add additional SSI down the road as I hear it is easy to do so.

Yep, definitely better to go pro with PADI then crossover. As a larger agency with more affiliated shops, you have better chance of employment with PADI. That being said, if you find yourself needing to be dual rated in future you can do an upgrade or crossover course - and crossing from PADI to SSI is much cheaper both in time and finances than going the other way around. As a PADI instructor you can crossover to SSI in just a 3-5 day course, whereas an SSI instructor wishing to become PADI also must literally take the full IDC from start to finish.

Good luck in your quest to go pro. And dont rush too much - just enjoy the time and diving it takes to get you there - its a great journey :)

ScubaDoo83:
My question is, if I get my DM with SSI how easy is it to transition to PADI? I just want to be as marketable as possible once I'm ready to move.

If you take your DM with SSI, then the next thing would be to take a PADI IDC to become a PADI instructor. PADI recognise SSI certs, so you can crossover at any point by simply taking the next higher course with PADI.

Doing a cross over to PADI you would need to at a minimum do the OWSI portion of a IDC then pass a IE..I suggest doing the full IDC (asst inst portion) then on to OWSI part.
It will be much more costly going SSI to PADI than just going straight to PADI. If you want to do as you say then do up to rescue with SSI then go for DM with PADI

To crossover with just the OWSI portion of the IDC, the candidate must already be a PADI AI or an instructor with another agency for at least six months. At the moment, if somebody wants to be a PADI and an SSI instructor, it's easier, and financially better, to take the PADI IDC first, and then crossover to SSI.

---------- Post added July 9th, 2014 at 01:26 PM ----------

whereas an SSI instructor wishing to become PADI also must literally take the full IDC from start to finish.

Actually, the CD Manual states:

OWSI Program Prerequisites
1. Meet all IDC/AI course prerequisites
2. PADI Assistant Instructor or current instructor member in good standing
with a recognized recreational diver training organization for at least 6
months.

So they would NOT have to take the full IDC from start to finish, just the OWSI portion (as long as they have been an instructor for 6 months). But it's still a good idea to take the full course - extra presentation practice etc...

Last edited:
I've got a decent paying job in IT but I absolutely hate going to an office everyday. I am thinking of taking a year or two off to go overseas as a scuba instructor. Here's the situation:

So I have a few concerns about how exactly I can go about doing this including:

- How can I move into an instructor role as efficiently and quickly as possible? (Which school? Where? How long?)

- Could I make enough as an instructor overseas to live, pay my loan monthly and save (even if just a little)?

I love the outdoors and the water, am outgoing (don't get hung that I'm IT) and love adventure. I'd really like to see this goal come to fruition.

Hi ScubaDoo83 :)

Many others have made the diving dream a reality, so why not you!? I say, do it!

I will briefly introduce myself to begin with: I am one of the full time PADI IDC Staff Instructors of the Go PRO team at Downbelow Marine & Wildlife Adventures’ premier PADI 5 Star IDC Dive Centre facility on Gaya Island in Borneo!

Downbelow's Go PRO Instructor Development Team | Diving Sabah? Dive Downbelow!

I would agree with some of the comments in this thread about your expectations of salary. Dive educators are not driven by money, and there wouldn’t be a genuine passion for teaching if it was about money!
As you put it: ‘I love the outdoors and the water…adventure.’ This reason, amongst many others, is why recreational divers become professional and continue their education.

Consider an internship program to complete your professional dive training, which we offer fully inclusive itineraries for you to achieve your goals, and we can cater the program to suit your individual needs.

PADI IDC | IDC Asia

Learning to become a PADI professional at our Gaya Island beach house will be an experience you won’t forget! Not only will you be provided our high standard of quality dive training, you will be encouraged always to observe and involve yourself in the daily operations so you will appreciate ALL areas of the dive industry! We often conduct conservation programs to raise awareness within our local community and adventure training for international groups exploring the exotic beauty of Borneo’s natural world!
Borneo has plenty of adventurous pursuits for you to revel in, such as white water rafting, mountain climbing, jungle trekking and the scuba diving is world class with the beautiful tropical coral reefs presenting the immense biological diversity of marine life!

Get in contact with our experienced and friendly Head Office staff to take your next step to become a Go PRO diver with us in Borneo!
In the meantime, the best form of research on us would be to keep updated on what we do on a daily basis through various social media network communities we are active on and follow our various blogs to get more information on our current Go PRO interns’ activities!

Blogs:
News | Diving Sabah? Dive Downbelow!
News & Events | IDC Asia
Instructor Development Blog | Instructor Development Course IDC Malaysia, Asia

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/divedownbelow
Twitter: https://twitter.com/divedownbelow
Pinterest: Downbelow Marine & Wildlife Adventures on Pinterest
Tumblr: http://divedownbelow.tumblr.com

Don’t do this for money, ScubaDoo83! You can’t take it with you anyways…if you know what I mean :wink: Enjoy the dream!

Did I just watch somebody go from wanting to be a diver, to enlisting in the Navy? From forum advice?

I'd say your best course of action, if you are staying local, is to get a lot of diving in, talk to dive professionals (maybe make some friends) and work your way up to Rescue Diver. The best way to be a good instructor is lots of diving. Get comfortable in the water. Go with the shop on training. See what happens and observe how the OWSI handles things. Ask lots of questions. Learn what makes one instructor better than the next.

Remember that a local shop is trying to sell a service. They have a vested interest in you going all the way to DM. Once you hit DM you cannot become OWSI without someone from PADI certifying you. I have met some DMs who are questionable at best. This is because the shop can certify them without anyone outside the shop confirming the DM's skills. When I went to work for my second shop (not the shop which certified me) they had me conduct a Discover Scuba Dive (I have my DSD Leader) to see how I handle that. Then they hung around the pool after class and 'tried' a few things on me to see how I handled myself. Essentially, without telling me they were checking me out because they knew, just because I had the card didn't mean I was actually any good.

So just like picking a school for IT training, buyer beware. Not all shops are created equal.

If you really want to go for it, going to the Caribbean or overseas and spending a few months going from OW to OWSI is probably your best bet. Again, some programs will be good and others will be worthless. Check to see if graduates actually find work or just get a certification then nothing. I have my DM on my resume. A number of times I've had someone interviewing me mention they got their DM as well. When we get talking I find out they went overseas, got their DM then never found work as a DM. So they came back to NA and went back to IT.

Did I just watch somebody go from wanting to be a diver, to enlisting in the Navy? From forum advice?

lol nope. Like I said I have some history there sop it isn't the first time I've visited this option. The idea of taking orders from a 24 year old does not sound appealing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom