Advanced Training on a Budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, where DO you want to live and work?
Probably either Hawaii or Florida. I also have a masters Captain license and would market myself as an instructor as well as a captain.

If you are interested in doing things in a less expensive manner, you have to take into consideration the total cost of obtaining the certifications. As you seem aware, the cost is not only tuition, but also for travel, food and lodging, boat dives if necessary, etc. The tuition cost can be the least of the expenses.

We have known some people go thru rescue locally and then find a destination divemaster and instructor internship where you work for your tuition. This is because up until you finish rescue, you are not as useful as someone who has already completed rescue.

Thailand and the Philippines keep coming up. I have seen some offers which actually will put you up in a dorm type environment as well. However, I would imagine that you are worked quite hard for what you get in return. One guy had to work for a month to get thru his divemaster internship.

The other thing that would make you more competitive is if you had any factory equipment technician certifications.

Where do you live in TX?

Probably either Hawaii or Florida. I also have a masters Captain license and would market myself as an instructor as well as a captain.
Both are tough markets, especially Florida. Jillions of instructor-wannabees willing work for peanuts. Your Master's license will be VERY helpful.
The best way to break into the tough markets is to trained within the tough market, so they know you and trust you. Showing up with a piece of paper from one of the Thai instructor mills isn't going to get you very far.
You might want to pick a place is (say) HAwaii and work out a barter scheme, whereby you use your Captain's ticket to trade for instructor training.....

If you are interested in doing things in a less expensive manner, you have to take into consideration the total cost of obtaining the certifications. As you seem aware, the cost is not only tuition, but also for travel, food and lodging, boat dives if necessary, etc. The tuition cost can be the least of the expenses.

We have known some people go thru rescue locally and then find a destination divemaster and instructor internship where you work for your tuition. This is because up until you finish rescue, you are not as useful as someone who has already completed rescue.

Thailand and the Philippines keep coming up. I have seen some offers which actually will put you up in a dorm type environment as well. However, I would imagine that you are worked quite hard for what you get in return. One guy had to work for a month to get thru his divemaster internship.

The other thing that would make you more competitive is if you had any factory equipment technician certifications.

Where do you live in TX?
I am from Texas, up around the Ft. Worth area. The cost of the courses will most likely be the least expensive part of the journey to instructor, which is why I'm considering going overseas for the training. Airfare is not something I figure into the costs since I can cover that with airline miles, but cost of living, and visas if necessary, along with travel to and from the training center, as well as a host of other expenses are things that need to be considered, and thus the reason for asking my question here on this forum.

Surely there are others on here that have went abroad to further their dive training due to high cost in their home country.

Surely there are others on here that have went abroad to further their dive training due to high cost in their home country.
You need also to factor in how well they did on then finding a job in Hawaii or Florida....

Both are tough markets, especially Florida. Jillions of instructor-wannabees willing work for peanuts. Your Master's license will be VERY helpful.
The best way to break into the tough markets is to trained within the tough market, so they know you and trust you. Showing up with a piece of paper from one of the Thai instructor mills isn't going to get you very far.
You might want to pick a place is (say) HAwaii and work out a barter scheme, whereby you use your Captain's ticket to trade for instructor training.....
That's excellent advice, and something that I wouldn't have thought of. I'll definitely reach out to some shops over in HI to see if something of that nature could be bartered. Thanks!!

If I recall correctly, the single instructor most responsible for damage to the recreational scuba diving industry, passed an IDC in Florida, not Thailand or the Phillipines. So, there is at least one instructor mill in Florida as well.

If I recall correctly, the single instructor most responsible for damage to the recreational scuba diving industry, passed an IDC in Florida, not Thailand or the Phillipines. So, there are instructor mills in Florida as well.
Wow, great generalization! One bad apple and suddenly there are multiple instructor mills in FL!

So I will correct my post to say at least one instructor mill in FL. You don't seem to disagree with that.

On the other hand, do you have any evidence of your claims?

So I will correct my post to say at least one instructor mill in FL. You don't seem to disagree with that.

On the other hand, do you have any evidence of your claims?
There are a fair number of bad instructors. I'd be reluctant to call all of their IDCs the results of instructor mills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom