Suggestions on getting me out of the office and going pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@ScubaDoo83 a little late reply but figure I'd jump in since I've been in IT for 25 years, felt what you've felt and done some homework. Honestly, the feedback I've received in the past is that it's a really tough living and certainly not as glamorous as it may seem. The DMs and instructors work their butts off, don't get compensated near enough for the headaches they endure (especially problematic customers), have to maintain flexible and odd hours and incur tremendous liability due to the nature of what their teaching (hence why they need to be insured). So you have to ensure that you have a definite passion not only for diving but for customer service and teaching all while living on a fairly tight budget. Unless you own a dive shop or find one that offers really good commissions for sales & teaching, you'd have a very hard time making what a person in IT makes. It's certainly possible but it doesn't seem to be the norm.

My recommendation is similar to what someone else mentioned. Move down to a tropical place and work as a freelance software developer. That'll afford you the flexibility you want to dive while allowing you to maintain a solid living. I live in South Florida and can tell you we have some great diving here and Key Largo is only an hour and a half away from Ft. Lauderdale. And hour south of Miami for that matter. It would also allow you to continue your training and giving you a chance to determine if the professional route is for you. For me it's not the route I want to take but I have continued my education becoming an SSI AOW and planning on taking my rescue diver course soon.

And I would recommend checking out Ultimate Software as they were rated one of the best employers in the nation: HR Software & HR Payroll Solutions for HCM - Ultimate Software. If I didn't get to work for Microsoft from home, Ultimate would be the place I'd go to in a heartbeat. They're based in South Florida and have a lot of employee perks.

Hope all of this helps.

Whats the problem? The navy school of diving is up to 6 months. You will learn about all types of diving and get paid for it. If you are not willing to find out who you really are the navy doesnt want you. I had my own commercial diving business for 20 years after i retired. Loved every minute of it. Seen and dove hundreds of foreighen ports all over the med and us. Get off you ass and go sign up.

You're right, not what I wanted to hear but I prefer an honest answer to a fairytale any day :) I agree, I'll need to pace myself a bit, plus I need to stay here and save a bit more money before any big decisions but I personally feel a few years is a bit long for what I'm looking to do. I'm thinking about just continuing my education with the SSI school I'm with now. By the looks of it I can make progress to Master Diver rather quickly (I'd have to travel out of here during the winter for dives).

My question is, if I get my DM with SSI how easy is it to transition to PADI? I just want to be as marketable as possible once I'm ready to move.

Well, once you get your OW, there is a pretty cool deal in the Philippines you might look at.

A dive shop in the Philippines that for $1000 a month pays for all your living expenses, including feeding you three meals, and puts you up for the night, laundry, room service... if I were in your situation... I'd spend the next three months in Puerto Galera doing nothing but eating, sleeping, and diving... you can get 10 dive deals for $250, over two to three months, maybe spend another $2000-$3000 on diving (80-120 dives)... you'll either burn out on it, or know you've found your calling... and you can't go wrong in PG...

if only I knew then, what I know now...

Last edited:
With an IT career...why not move to a location with great diving and get an IT job to keep the cash flow and standard of living up. In the south Florida region you should not have any issues getting a job and dive every weekend and if you want most nights after work. Get your training and experience.

If you are looking for a one-stop shop you might also look at Utila Dive Center. In Six short months you could be an instructor. Utila Dive Center | PADI Career Development Center | Scuba Diving | Bay Islands Honduras | Caribbean and Central America

Then there are also other training centers that can to the same too.

Just remember there is no substitute for dive experience...that cannot be learned from a book, instructor or some hack on the other end of the computer giving free advise anonymously on the internet. :admingreet:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom