Suggestions on analog depth gauge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

romad119

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking to pick up an analog depth gauge for use and was looking for recommendations on vintage or near vintage models that are considered to be the 'best' of their period.

Most new ones I had seen usually only went to recreational limits. This one doesn't seem too bad at 200'. It would suffice me for awhile. My searches were mostly bringing up older ones from Scuba Pro, etc that covered more of the tech range of depth.

I am a bit surprised you are not shooting for backup digital which can give you next to depth also bottom time, but anyway.... this bad boy goes to 230FT Suunto SM-16 Depth Gauge by Suunto

i got old school scubapro SOS depth gauge on eBay last week for $4.50 + $5 shipping, but honestly it was just a small present to a friend, I don't expect anybody would use it for deep diving

Why a vintage depth gauge? Don't know but this is the vintage sub forum.

1970's era (purchased early summer, 1970). Solid brass construction. Will probably last another 40 years with good care. I paid $5. YMMV.

Picture2005-12.jpg

Picture2006-10.jpg

It's not vintage but here's an analog Uwatec. I like this one because it has a max depth needle that can be reset (if you remember). The bottom dial is temp. It's a plastic puck and you can see how weathered it is compaired to the much older US divers.

Picture2003-10.jpg

I like an analog gauge myself. A big, glow in the dark dial is IMO, about the easiest thing to read quickly and it's much less likely to fail than a computer, (or accidentally get switched to meters, or get switched to a different screen).

Most new ones I had seen usually only went to recreational limits. This one doesn't seem too bad at 200'. It would suffice me for awhile. My searches were mostly bringing up older ones from Scuba Pro, etc that covered more of the tech range of depth.

Oceanic also makes a 200' gauge:

Oceanic SWIV Maxdepth Wrist Gauge

I do have an Aeris T3 w/ Gauge mode and a Uwatec 330m Imperial. I just find the analogs interesting and some old the older models are built like a tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom