Suggestions for topside pocket digicam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pakman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for a compact (pocketsized) digicam for topside use to supplement a DSLR. It's for those days where you just don't want to lug around a DSLR and lenses... Don't plan on using it underwater. So far I'm leaning towards a Canon Ixus 800IS (SD700is). Used to have a Canon S70 which was great for its full manual and raw capability, but still found that to be slightly on the too-big side for tossing in a jean or shirt pocket. Any other suggestions for a nice slim digicam?

The Canon Ixus cameras are nice and small - the shots I've seen turn out really nice. I bought my mom the SD400 and it was fantastic...til she dropped it from a great height :(

I have an acquired Casio 750. I'm not sure I'd buy one, but for free it's great. Slim and slides in a back pocket.

Hubby bought the Oly - it's shock and waterproof to 3m. So far I really like it. Haven't had time to really put it through it's paces yet, but will be using it over the next few days. Slim and rear pocket sized, too.

actually the casio's are the one's that got me thinking of getting something really slim and compact. Friend of mine has I think the 750 but the pics are not as good as the output from a canon equivalent...

anyways, thanks for the input alcina :D

pakman:
actually the casio's are the one's that got me thinking of getting something really slim and compact. Friend of mine has I think the 750 but the pics are not as good as the output from a canon equivalent...

anyways, thanks for the input alcina :D
how about a cool pix? its a nikrap Mike:D .

i have a canon a520 and an a 610 the 520 nice and small... the 610 a bit big for the pocket...

but the 520 only 4mp...

i like it for run around camera

i have the Ixus 800 for chucking in pocket / handbag, also have the WP-DC5 fir when i feel like jumping in on beach days. i find it responsive, fast and easy to use/hold

CUW, yeah also saw the housing for it. it's tiny!! good idea... maybe I should get the housing as well for beach days.

Now another question... Any SD650 (Ixus 63) owners out there? Or Fuji F30 which seems to get good low light reviews? Not fully sold on the benefits of Image Stabilization on the Canon SD700IS/IXUS 800 IS

pakman:
Looking for a compact (pocketsized) digicam for topside use to supplement a DSLR. It's for those days where you just don't want to lug around a DSLR and lenses... Don't plan on using it underwater. So far I'm leaning towards a Canon Ixus 800IS (SD700is). Used to have a Canon S70 which was great for its full manual and raw capability, but still found that to be slightly on the too-big side for tossing in a jean or shirt pocket. Any other suggestions for a nice slim digicam?

Funny you should ask. I was searching for the same thing.

My thought was if it isn't pocket size then I won't take it with me all the time. But I also wanted a 10X zoom. Was that asking too much? No it wasn't. I just bought a Kodak V610. It is a fully automatic camera in that it won't let you manually set shutter speeds and F stops but it has 10X zoom and NO TELESCOPING LENS. It has two lenses and two processors that split the zoom distances.

The camera is about the size of a deck of playing cards. I have only had it about a week and love it so far. It is 6 megapixel and can be set all the way down to 1 MP. It does movies and has sound.

I don't think you can get any more compact than this camera and still have 10X optical zoom. I am going to take it on my Philippines trip next week for land shots.

Don't underestimate this camera because of it's size or looks. It is packed with features.

Interesting Gilligan... I'll have to look at that kodak (intriguing dual lens/ dual CCD design!), but I suspect finding Kodak's in Asia will be tough! :wink: But agree with you 100% on it being pocket size. As much as I loved my Canon S70, it was still too chunky to toss in a shirt or pant pocket. Any bigger, I'd rather take my DSLR with me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom