Time for a new laptop, looking for suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

White Chocolate

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm in need of a new laptop for basic photo processing. I'm currently shooting with a TG6 and use Lightroom for basic editing and RAW conversions. All my photos fall under the amateur shooting for fun category and I have no plans to get more serious. I may end up upgrading to a dslr sooner than later, possible a full frame Sony A7s or something similar but that won't be anytime soon. I'm currently leaning towards a 16" MacBook Pro. I'm not sure if it's worth the upgrade to the I9 processor or not. I'm also open to any other lapop suggestions since I don't really pay attention to anything related to consumer electronics. Thanks in advance.

I'm in need of a new laptop for basic photo processing. I'm currently shooting with a TG6 and use Lightroom for basic editing and RAW conversions. All my photos fall under the amateur shooting for fun category and I have no plans to get more serious. I may end up upgrading to a dslr sooner than later, possible a full frame Sony A7s or something similar but that won't be anytime soon. I'm currently leaning towards a 16" MacBook Pro. I'm not sure if it's worth the upgrade to the I9 processor or not. I'm also open to any other lapop suggestions since I don't really pay attention to anything related to consumer electronics. Thanks in advance.
Are you committed to a Mac? Is this for taking with you on travel?

I have a MacBook Pro - 13" and 15" and they are fine for the limited amount of video editing. Honestly at this point, I'd even look at the new Macbook Air - that ARM processor is running rings around the Intel stuff (in some benchmarks) at a better price. And once the faster ARM ships in the new Pro (someday)...

I would def add as much RAM as I could - it's amazing what a slightly slower CPU can do when it has enough RAM.

My last job was 17 years at a major video game company - rhymes with waystation - we ended up with *iMACs* 2 years ago as they were almost the only thing on the planet that could use the 40(yes 40) Gbit fiber we gave each user for 8K HDR video editing. So, I'm a Mac fan.

I did buy this summer a very powerful Macbook Pro 16", with everything maxed out: i9 processor, Ram (64 GB), SSD (8 Tbytes). It costed a fortune...
And now my son did just buy that cheap Macbook Air with M1 ARM processor, and for Video/Photo editing it is twice as fast... Furthermore it has real function keys, not this crap touchbar...

If you're a Mac user (I am for years) look at the new M1 chip models.

As others mention it is a big game changer even in the basic models.

I just got a new 16" Macbook Pro (only got the 1T HD because I don't have Angelo's $), but it is an absolute beast for graphics.

Mac is not the only game in town, and you will pay a premium for going that route. There are plenty of good options for "just" photo editing and you can save a decent amount of money by going Windows. Memory, however, is your best friend, combined with a decent processor and a fast SSD.

If you are already a Mac user and are OK with the cost, I would recommend staying with a Mac. If you are looking to save some money and are comfortable with Windows (or willing to learn the differences) then I would compare some other options.

Mac is not the only game in town, and you will pay a premium for going that route. There are plenty of good options for "just" photo editing and you can save a decent amount of money by going Windows. Memory, however, is your best friend, combined with a decent processor and a fast SSD.

If you are already a Mac user and are OK with the cost, I would recommend staying with a Mac. If you are looking to save some money and are comfortable with Windows (or willing to learn the differences) then I would compare some other options.
All my Macs also run Windows with Bootcamp, which makes them much faster for certain specific tasks (massive convolution in audio processing, for example). For other tasks, Mac OS is faster.
Said that, two years ago I made the "error" of abandoning Apple for MSI, purchasing a very powerful "gaming" laptop. I needed a top-level Nvidia card for doing some work about virtual reality, running a Windows HMD (Samsung Odyssey+).
Problem is that this MSI GS65 lasted just one year. I replaced it with the newer MSI GS75, featuring a very powerful Nvidia 2080 card. But again, in less than 12 months, it started literally" breaking apart".
As I had just got a new EU-funded research project, I had money enough, so I came back to a Mac.
It is another world. Reliable, stable, and everything simply runs smoother (PARTICULARLY UNDER WINDOWS!).
The AMD video card is not as powerful as the previous Nvidia one I had on the MSI, but still works well with my Samsung HMD, and also with the new Oculus Quest 2.
So I think that Apple is still worth the additional money you pay, you get it back in quality and duration.
My wife is still using her MBP-15 mid-2012, the last one with antireflective screen and user-upgradeable disk and memory (and Nvidia card). She has now a nice 4-TB SSD (Samsung) and 16 GB RAM, and after 8 years that machine is still working very well. No Windows laptop of the same age is still fully operational...

Wait until Biden takes office and removes the taxes (tariffs) on China products. You will save 15-20%.

My wife is still using her MBP-15 mid-2012, the last one with antireflective screen and user-upgradeable disk and memory (and Nvidia card). She has now a nice 4-TB SSD (Samsung) and 16 GB RAM, and after 8 years that machine is still working very well. No Windows laptop of the same age is still fully operational...
Mine is. But I've replaced it with something smaller and lighter but even more powerful for travel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom