Suggestions for retractors...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, I need a replacement for the retractor I have my camera housing clipped to. The cetacea model I had crapped on me after just 15 dives... I was generally looking for a medium strength retractor with a locking mechanism so my camera isn't always getting pulled back. Any have any suggestions for good quality replacements that won't die on me in the middle of a trip?? This one will be going back for an exchange...

Or if anyone has suggestions on alternate systems for attaching my camera housing...

Thanks for your help!:coffee:

Steve, I have limited experience using cameras, but found the retractor to work well. Do you think a lanyard would work better? And if so, why? certainly, less things to break.... :shakehead

Thanks for the input!

I agree, coil lanyard. Pretty much nothing to break and most you can clip to make shorter when you are done with the camera.

crpntr133:
I agree, coil lanyard. Pretty much nothing to break and most you can clip to make shorter when you are done with the camera.

I snapped mine like a twig with my ikelite housing.

The new one is a piece of rope with 2 SS Snap Bolts. It's cheaper and will hold your gear and you and your buddy.

Terry

Snapped the lanyard??!! WOW!!

crpntr133:
Snapped the lanyard??!! WOW!!

The coiled part is extremely strong, but the quick-disconnect buckles are crap.

I wanted to make sure I didn't send $1000 camera and housing on a trip to the bottom because of a 20 cent clip.

Terry

Ok the clips I could see. Since mine is slightly positive I don't worry about that. Also I clip it off using bolt snaps when I'm done with it.

CODMAN:
Steve, I have limited experience using cameras, but found the retractor to work well. Do you think a lanyard would work better? And if so, why? certainly, less things to break.
Yes, imo, retractors are for gauges and maybe lights, lanyards are for cameras. The cable is much heavier duty than a retractor cord. And when you unclip it, the coil travel is just about perfect, at arms length it just starts to pull a little, which I find helps with stability. I use a Cetacea high-force retractor for my gauges, but I wouldn't use it for a camera.

The coiled part is extremely strong, but the quick-disconnect buckles are crap.
The one I have has 1" buckles. It takes the weight of my aluminum Amphibico housing with no problem. If it did snap, the camera is only falling about 3' to the end of the coil extension.

Weakest part of the whole setup imo was the split ring on the camera end, so I replaced it with a locking carabiner which also goes through a convenient hole in the handle of my housing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom