Suggestions for our first (and maybe our only) dive trip to Bali?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go for as long as you can possibly pull off because Bali has a lot both u/w and topside. And you lose lots of time traveling. I had an awesome night dive on the Liberty. Tulamben was very nice diving. I enjoyed other areas too but when we went to Komodo most sort of paled in comparison. (We split our trip between Bali and Komodo over 19days.)

I think getting over to Komodo was amazing and highly recommend that side trip. Best diving I’ve seen. Lots of currents. Giant lizards and exotic creatures. ‘Rustic’ and even remote in some ways.

You’re going to love it.

Poster Luko gives excellent Indo advice here on SB.
Thanks, will look for Luko's advice as well.

I would also fly over to Labuan Bajo to dive Komodo. It's a very short flight over (a little more than an hour). Komodo is worth at least 5-7 days. You can split your time between Bali and Komodo. There are direct flights between Bali (DPS) and LBJ (Labuan Bajo).

Thanks for the tip. Is it better to do a Komodo liveaboard from Labuan Bajo (and fly) or from Lombok (and take the ferry)?

Thanks for the tip. Is it better to do a Komodo liveaboard from Labuan Bajo (and fly) or from Lombok (and take the ferry)?

Labuan Bajo is the launch point for Komodo diving. It is in the same town as where the boats leave from. Fly from DPS (Bali airport) direct. It's the easiest and fastest way to get there.

We did a LOB in Komodo last week. Definitely the way to go over land based out of Labuan Bajo if you have the time as the land based has very long surface transfers every day. If you wanted a shorter trip you could do the land based and still hit many of the same central and northern sites. The diving in Komodo is much better overall than what we have done around Bali but is very challenging. I thought our LOB (Dragon Dive Komodo) did a good job of working us into the harder sites and I’m assuming that the others do, as well, so we were prepared for the challenge!

We didn’t stay at Liberty Dive in Tulamben but dove with them. The diving service and resort (for lunch and surface interval) are both wonderful. Ocean View is in front of it if you want beach front. We stayed next door at Toyabali which is more of a romantic resort so probably not what you’re looking for.

We are on our last and second day in Ubud to off gas and, to be honest, I wish we had done 3-4. The sites around here are quite beautiful and we aren’t getting to many things we’d like to see. Next time! I thought this would be a “knock Bali off the list” trip but we will definitely be back.

If you are only going to be in Bali once, do set aside adequate time for its topside pleasures.

@nippurmagnum, It's my understanding that August is a good time to go to Komodo and also a good chance of seeing mola mola at Bali.
January is also a good time for Bali but not ideal for Komodo.

My comments above are why I asked what time of year that you would be there.

Good advice. August is also the cooler & dry season there. You'll get some cool breeze from Australia with low around 72F (22C) & high around 84F (29C). December would be warmer and rainy season (hot & humid like Texas summer is not a good combination). Bali climate: average weather, temperature, precipitation, best time

We are on our last and second day in Ubud to off gas and, to be honest, I wish we had done 3-4. The sites around here are quite beautiful and we aren’t getting to many things we’d like to see. Next time! I thought this would be a “knock Bali off the list” trip but we will definitely be back.

Yet another one bitten by that infamous Indo Bug!! It gets everyone!! :wink:

Everything I could have recommended was said above. In my opinion two weeks holidays lead to a no brainer combo Bali+Komodo.

I would not recommend January : it can be a hit or miss in Bali, you may get a lot of rain even on the dryer & best diving north eastern part (Tulamben) with rivers running into the sea, thus decreasing visibility but also the smallest critter life in the shallows... whereas it's the season for southern Komodo but not so much for north/central, hence you'd be going with southern LoB options and expecting rain in Labuan Bajo.

On the other hand august is the highest of the peak season in Bali, expect a lot of french, german and italian tourists. You'll need to book ahead, like others said it's also season for MolaMola. Komodo will be limited to north/central only but that will be fine for a first trip.

In the ideal world, October-November would be the best season to travel.

Everything I could have recommended was said above. In my opinion two weeks holidays lead to a no brainer combo Bali+Komodo.

I would not recommend January : it can be a hit or miss in Bali, you may get a lot of rain even on the dryer & best diving north eastern part (Tulamben) with rivers running into the sea, thus decreasing visibility but also the smallest critter life in the shallows... whereas it's the season for southern Komodo but not so much for north/central, hence you'd be going with southern LoB options and expecting rain in Labuan Bajo.

On the other hand august is the highest of the peak season in Bali, expect a lot of french, german and italian tourists. You'll need to book ahead, like others said it's also season for MolaMola. Komodo will be limited to north/central only but that will be fine for a first trip.

Thanks -- what about travelling in late June/July?

One other question -- do the strong currents at Komodo preclude macro photography, or do typical liveaboard itineraries also include some more sheltered macro sites?

Back
Top Bottom