Suggestions for our first (and maybe our only) dive trip to Bali?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nippurmagnum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My 19-year-old daughter and I live in the Washington DC area, and are interested in doing a dive trip to Bali next year. We are both avid divers, and have done most of our diving in Florida, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Hawaii including lots of shore dives, night dives, and wreck dives. We've never dived in Southeast Asia, and are interested in doing a two-week trip to Bali, since it seems to have a variety of dive sites, as well as an interesting topside culture. Given the travel distances involved, I'm not sure that we'll make repeat visits to Bali, so we'd like to hit whatever is most worth diving in Bali within a two-week period. Any advice on how to structure such a trip?

I would also fly over to Labuan Bajo to dive Komodo. It's a very short flight over (a little more than an hour). Komodo is worth at least 5-7 days. You can split your time between Bali and Komodo. There are direct flights between Bali (DPS) and LBJ (Labuan Bajo).

Two weeks, all in Bali? I agree with ooo that spending some of that elsewhere makes sense. Diving is good in Bali, but not TWO weeks good--unless, of course, you have already been all over Indonesia and just happen to like Bali. :) Komodo is the obvious complement to Bali. You may very well find you preferred the Komodo diving over the Bali diving.

My 19-year-old daughter and I live in the Washington DC area, and are interested in doing a dive trip to Bali next year. We are both avid divers, and have done most of our diving in Florida, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Hawaii including lots of shore dives, night dives, and wreck dives. We've never dived in Southeast Asia, and are interested in doing a two-week trip to Bali, since it seems to have a variety of dive sites, as well as an interesting topside culture. Given the travel distances involved, I'm not sure that we'll make repeat visits to Bali, so we'd like to hit whatever is most worth diving in Bali within a two-week period. Any advice on how to structure such a trip?

What time of year?

How many days topside site seeing vs diving are you thinking about?

As you mentioned you are avid divers I would suggest the following:

1) 3 days in Tulamben to get over jet lag and get into the swing of things.
2) 2 days in Padang Bai area with one of those days diving over at Nusa Pendina
3) Head over to Komodo for 5-7 day live aboard, there is a range of LOBs that range in $ value so you should be able to find one in your budget.
4) Head back to Bali and off gas in Ubud in a beautiful villa getting massages and going to see the sights, sounds, smells and tastes of Bali!

After the above I am willing to bet $50 that this will NOT be your only trip to Indo!! It is that good!!

Enjoy

Go for as long as you can possibly pull off because Bali has a lot both u/w and topside. And you lose lots of time traveling. I had an awesome night dive on the Liberty. Tulamben was very nice diving. I enjoyed other areas too but when we went to Komodo most sort of paled in comparison. (We split our trip between Bali and Komodo over 19days.)

I think getting over to Komodo was amazing and highly recommend that side trip. Best diving I’ve seen. Lots of currents. Giant lizards and exotic creatures. ‘Rustic’ and even remote in some ways.

You’re going to love it.

Poster Luko gives excellent Indo advice here on SB.

@nippurmagnum, It's my understanding that August is a good time to go to Komodo and also a good chance of seeing mola mola at Bali.
January is also a good time for Bali but not ideal for Komodo.

My comments above are why I asked what time of year that you would be there.

Reactions: Dan
How many days topside site seeing vs diving are you thinking about?

As you mentioned you are avid divers I would suggest the following:

1) 3 days in Tulamben to get over jet lag and get into the swing of things.
2) 2 days in Padang Bai area with one of those days diving over at Nusa Pendina
3) Head over to Komodo for 5-7 day live aboard, there is a range of LOBs that range in $ value so you should be able to find one in your budget.
4) Head back to Bali and off gas in Ubud in a beautiful villa getting massages and going to see the sights, sounds, smells and tastes of Bali!

After the above I am willing to bet $50 that this will NOT be your only trip to Indo!! It is that good!!

Enjoy

Thanks, that's a great starting point. I wasn't thinking of doing a liveaboard but I'll definitely look into it now.

@nippurmagnum, It's my understanding that August is a good time to go to Komodo and also a good chance of seeing mola mola at Bali.
January is also a good time for Bali but not ideal for Komodo.

My comments above are why I asked what time of year that you would be there.

Thanks -- based on this and other comments I think I need to start thinking of this as a Bali/Komodo trip in August. And I definitely have mola mola high up on my bucket list! I've seen a lot of big critters but I've never seen a mola mola.

Back
Top Bottom