Suggestions for new mask/snorkel purchase.. and fins, maybe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elinsey

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My husband has never snorkeled before and wants to learn before we go to the Galapagos Islands this summer. I haven't done any diving or snorkeling since 1994. I have a Dacor mask that's in pretty good condition. Is it time for a new mask for me? Anyone have any suggestions for masks and snorkels? My husband also needs to wear contacts when he dives. Does he need to trim or shave his moustache?

To cut back on luggage, we thought we'd rely on the ship's fins. Is this recommended or should we look into purchasing our own fins? Also need recommendations for fins.

I almost forgot to mention, I've had two total knee replacements (in 2004 & 2005). I am a Red Cross Swim Instructor and have no problems. Are there fins that are better suited to artificial knees?

Thanks!

To cut back on luggage, we thought we'd rely on the ship's fins. Is this recommended or should we look into purchasing our own fins? Also need recommendations for fins.
I almost forgot to mention, I've had two total knee replacements (in 2004 & 2005). I am a Red Cross Swim Instructor and have no problems. Are there fins that are better suited to artificial knees?

Hi,
What kind of experience do you have diving? It sounds to me like you just want to do some fun snorkeling? In that case SPLIT FINS are going to be your best option. Same surface area but the split in fins reduces the effort to get the same amount of power. I owned Atomics for 3 years, they were absolutely effortless so I highly recommend them. Why Atomic Aquatics SplitFins deliver more propulsion with less air consumption

I wear contacts because I prefer them over my glasses. But if your husband prefers glasses, you always can do prescription lenses. Or if he is nearsighted only, then you can get these little prescription attachments for the mask. Buy Trident Dive Optx 3242 with reviews at scuba.com

A good mask is the one that fits you the best. I dont recommend buying one online but going to a dive shop and trying it on yourself. Snorkels varies, the Atomic SV1 is a great snorkel but also pricey. Hope this helps!

My husband has never snorkeled before and wants to learn before we go to the Galapagos Islands this summer. I haven't done any diving or snorkeling since 1994. I have a Dacor mask that's in pretty good condition. Is it time for a new mask for me?]/quote]

Not necessarily. I just retired a 10 year old mask because of a small tear in the skirt. I really loved that mask and was sad to see it go. It is also discontinued so it's not like I can replace it with the same brand and model. Fortunately I found another mask that works great for me and is fairly inexpensive.

Anyone have any suggestions for masks and snorkels?

I really like my SEAC mask. You don't have to spend a lot of money on a mask or snorkel. You can spend close to $100 on a snorkel but in reality a $20 snorkel will do the same thing. While it's best to try on different masks to see what fits your face that can also easily be done by measurements. The true test of a mask comes in the water. While a mask might fit on the dive shop show room, it might not work well in the water.

My husband also needs to wear contacts when he dives. Does he need to trim or shave his moustache?

My wife wears contacts and has no issues. I have a mustache and it poses no problems. It really depends on how busy it is. If he has a Tom Selleck mustache then he should trim it down just under the nose to make sure he gets a good seal. I'll do that sometimes if I'm heading out for a long dive trip. Otherwise, as long as he can get a seal the mustache should be okay.

Thanks!

Rental fins are usually cheap, flimsy, and small. This means you won't get great propulsion from them. I prefer standard paddle fins like the SEAC GP100 for scuba diving but I use free diving fins for free diving. They are the 3' long fins and that might be overkill for what you want to do. I also have bad knees. No knee replacements yet (it's coming), but bad enough I have been told every step I take just grinds away at what little cartilage I have left. The paddle fins work fine. Some people recommend split fins for bad knees. I had splits when I first started diving and they were worst for my knees. The constant movement required to make them work efficiently was harder on my knees than the occasional movement required to make paddle fins move me.

I hope this helps!

go play at your local dive store you will love the new soft skirted masks , get the best fit, try on some of the framless ones great viz. for hubby maybe a dry snorkel check air flow. find a light soft fin all you need for snorkling get socks.

Some folks (like me) cant find a mask that works with a mustache, others can look like Grizzly Adams and have no leakage. Hubby is just gonna have to experiment and see what works best.

My knees are shot. Diving/snorkeling is much more pleasurable when I'm wearing my Atomic Split Fins. I can wear blades, but I pay the price later.

I appreciate your input and suggestions. This really helps.

---------- Post added April 25th, 2013 at 05:09 PM ----------

Thank you very much for your input. This really gives me a place to start.

I love my Atomic Aquatics frameless mask. Not much help on a snorkel. We teach and I just grab any old snorkel from the box, usually a pink one so that I can tell it apart from everybody else's.
As for fins, I was pretty happy with split fins for a long time but found that I didn't have much power in surf or difficult conditions. I traded up to a " Jet" fin style paddle fin, its a generic brand but same idea. I love them! I also love the spring straps and don't know how I ever lived without them!
I have awful knees and may need a double knee replacement real soon due to avascular necrosis. I'm finding the frog kick very painful, nearly impossible to do lately.

I'm no dive expert, but based on personal experience and what I've talk around the board, here's what I would suggest

-Mask: I learned quickly that masks can be hit or miss depending on the person. Different masks fit differently as you know. If you can go into an LDS and have them fit you that would be best. If not I've head many good things about the Cressi Big Eyes and HOG masks.
Your husband may get some leakage with that mustache. A buddy of mine applies wax to his and hopes his mask won't leak.

-Snorkel: I was interested in the Atomic SV2 myself, but found the price to be a bit expensive. Instead I went with the Oceanic Ulta Dry (Mini?). It's a nice snorkel and best of all, by the time you surface and stick your head out of the water, it will either be clear to breath or the purge will open on it's own and dump whatever amount of water managed to sneak in.

-Fins: I've tried both splits and paddle, and even some of the hinge fins (Slingshots). I personally prefer splits. If you want something lightweight, Tusa makes a nice full foot split (FF-19, which I personally use for pool sessions to strengthen my legs).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom