Suggestions for Middle Keys - Mid March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ctmax

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I we are planning, diver and non diver, to be in the Marathon area mid March. I am looking for some suggestions on places to stay and dive. We plan on making a day trips here and there, to kayak and snorkel as well. Our plans are flexible so if March isn't the best time to dive, then when? Any help would be appreciated.

March is pretty much a potluck. You can have great weather and dive every day or be blown out the entire month. It tends to be better than April but from now until June anything goes.

If you want to dive around Marathon (Sombrero/Thunderbolt) then I would recommend Capt Doug Morgan for local dives. Up in Key Largo you want to talk to KeyLargoBrent (from the board) at Bluewater Divers and coming down the Keys, I'll be the one you want to see :wink:

Rachel

By the way, since the hurricane wiped out the marina at Banana Bay Resort, Capt Doug Morgan is running the dive boat out of Captain Hooks. I think they are trying to work it out so he moves his boat there - but for right now, his boat is on the trailer. I'm still planning on diving with him at the end of the month - just will miss using the Narcosis.

biscuit7:
March is pretty much a potluck. You can have great weather and dive every day or be blown out the entire month. It tends to be better than April but from now until June anything goes.

If you want to dive around Marathon (Sombrero/Thunderbolt) then I would recommend Capt Doug Morgan for local dives. Up in Key Largo you want to talk to KeyLargoBrent (from the board) at Bluewater Divers and coming down the Keys, I'll be the one you want to see :wink:

Rachel

That's a drag! Tell him I hope everything works out for him!

Rachel

TN Traveler:
By the way, since the hurricane wiped out the marina at Banana Bay Resort, Capt Doug Morgan is running the dive boat out of Captain Hooks. I think they are trying to work it out so he moves his boat there - but for right now, his boat is on the trailer. I'm still planning on diving with him at the end of the month - just will miss using the Narcosis.

Thank you both, just the kind of info I was looking for. Rachel, I came across a few posts that mentioned you. If I am in the area you will definitely get a call. Right now the jury is still out as to where and when. When I posted it was looking like mid March in the marathon area... Winds have changed and it's looking like end of march and a destination has not yet been decided on. I think I will know more on Saturday. Keep the info coming PLEASE.

Don't know what it's like now, but the Blue Waters Motel, was once a great place to stay. Rooms are spacious, there's room to dry your gear inside and between each two rooms is a kitchen. Great place for small groups and they have deep water docks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom