Suggestions for manatee snorkeling in Crystal River?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have boat coats that we put over our wetsuits once we are back on the boat, that keeps us warm enough even if the skipper wants to try another spot, because you get warm again once you are back in the water.

It's very difficult to rent a drysuit anywhere in that area, not even sure you can. You don't need it, necessarily. The captains wear them because they are in the water hours ever day, day after day. It is the cumulative loss of energy with wetsuits that makes them go dry. But, for a couple of dives, it's just not cold enough to rent one.

---------- Post added January 24th, 2014 at 12:00 PM ----------

---------- Post added December 5th, 2013 at 09:21 AM ----------

Wider the better. Turn off strobes, hope for a cold night and a sunny day. Be patient. Ask for the resident naturalist at Plantation, you'll learn tons. If you HAVE to go on a weekend, Sundays are not as crazy.

---------- Post added December 5th, 2013 at 09:50 AM ----------

They kept saying over and over this isn't a petting zoo.You'll want to notice that at no time do you see anyone TOUCHING a manatee in that video. They've already hinted that the final CCP will possibly include a no touch aspect. It sounds like they're giving us a couple seasons to get with the program before the change takes place.

---------- Post added December 5th, 2013 at 09:57 AM ----------

They now have a no-strobe rule until at least one hour after sunrise. Also, no video lights allowed at any time. These are sensible rules and, most times, strobes are not necessary for a good shot. If you want a backlit manatee with light rays, with fill light on the animal, then the sun needs to be high, anyway.

If you have a good camera rig, you will be asked if you are a professional, as any pro photography requires a permit.

Bird's also told us that no-touch was under consideration. Personally, I would regret that, as being still, having one come up and roll over for belly scratch is truly a joy. We stopped the fin rubbing a long time ago. But, bad actors can ruin things for all of us, how often have we seen that happen . . .

We have boat coats that we put over our wetsuits once we are back on the boat, that keeps us warm enough even if the skipper wants to try another spot, because you get warm again once you are back in the water.

It's very difficult to rent a drysuit anywhere in that area, not even sure you can. You don't need it, necessarily. The captains wear them because they are in the water hours ever day, day after day. It is the cumulative loss of energy with wetsuits that makes them go dry. But, for a couple of dives, it's just not cold enough to rent one.

+1 on that. My wife and I were there one year in January when the overnight temps were in the 30's! Even the days were "cool" upper 60's low 70's. We both wore one piece 3mm wet suits; wish we'd had boat coats. The overnight temps back in RI were warmer! The water was warmer than the air and, that's why the manatees are there! I bought the wet suit I rented and still use with a 2mm hooded vest for snorkeling here in RI.

I've never really thought of myself as a warm water wimp. I usually dive the Caribbean in a t-shirt. Maybe we caught an odd ball cold windy day. We dove with Birds in January a few years ago. They meet at 6 AM so even at mid-tour, it's still pretty early and cold on the water. I'm guessing wind chills on the water could have made the air temp feel 15 degrees colder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom