Suggestions for end of May 5/6 days - excluding Bohol & PG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve78

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, I am looking for suggestions for a new Philippine dive destination for the end of May. I dove Bohol last year and have been diving in Sebang each year for the last 3 so looking for something outside of those 2 locations.

I have done Anilao on day trips from Sebang so wasn't really considering it, but not totally excluding it either.

Also, I like liveaboards, but I was planning on bringing a friend who doesn't dive so those are out.

My initial research suggested El Nido or Dumaguete. Or perhaps Sogod Bay on Leyte.

Open to any suggestions, appreciate your time.

1. The tricky part is the non-diving travel companion.
2. With only 5/6 day to spare it is really not practical to go to El Nido unless you are flying in directly from Manila.
3. If you like wreck then Subic Bay is an option but the wrecks there are NOT as good as those in Coron.
4. Dumaguete and Sogod Bay are good for diving but I am NOT familiar with any top side attraction. You really have to look it up. Both places require extra domestic flight connection and there is a further 3-4hrs bus journey for Sogod Bay from Tacloban.

1. The tricky part is the non-diving travel companion.
2. With only 5/6 day to spare it is really not practical to go to El Nido unless you are flying in directly from Manila.
3. If you like wreck then Subic Bay is an option but the wrecks there are NOT as good as those in Coron.
4. Dumaguete and Sogod Bay are good for diving but I am NOT familiar with any top side attraction. You really have to look it up. Both places require extra domestic flight connection and there is a further 3-4hrs bus journey for Sogod Bay from Tacloban.
Thanks. I should have included that direct flights are not a problem, my time is less supply than funds so I don't mind spending extra on direct flights to save time. And my non-diving companion is fine sitting by the pool she doesn't care about any topside attractions.

1. El Nido has couple of those exclusive resorts which might appeal to you. However, any adverse weather condition could mean missing your connection home!
2. Boracay is another option and the Long Beach need no introduction. Diving is very average and the Island can get very busy. This is one of the place where locals out number foreigners.
3. If the "pool" is an important factor then those up-market dive resorts in Dumaguete should fit the bill.
4. Anilao has plenty to offer and your previous day trips from PG probably did not cover all the interesting sites. Besides it is only couple of hrs from Manila by car.

Options 1, 2 and 3 all require extra flight which mean less time for diving.

End of May is typhoon season so beware of that.

Sangat Island in the Coron area. Very close to all of the WWII wrecks & some of the best diving I've ever done. The island is so gorgeous that your friend will love it. However, the time is very tight & the small planes do get cancelled.

With only 5 or 6 days combined with typhoon season, I generally choose the Caribbean or Mexico instead & leave the Philippines for trips when I have more days to play around with.

Sangat Island in the Coron area. Very close to all of the WWII wrecks & some of the best diving I've ever done. The island is so gorgeous that your friend will love it. However, the time is very tight & the small planes do get cancelled.
Happened to me once and luckily I did not have the same day international connection to make. Couldn't say the same for a German diver who was scheduled to go home on the same day.

Hi ScubaSteve,
The weather in Dumaguete is excellent in the end of May, and the diving is even better. May is especially known for "frogfish maddness" here in coastal dive sites, and the flat sea makes also diving in the reefs of Apo Island really enjoyable.

So I think Atmosphere fits very well on your requirements. Our 2 pool areas, great spa, and yoga & fitness classes should keep your non-diving companion busy, and if she likes snorkeling she will enjoy both Atmosphere House reef and Apo Island. Most of the dive sites (including Apo island) are within 30 min boat ride from the resort so you can still spend lot of time together too even if you are diving.

The access from Manila is easy with 1,5 hours flight, and resort is around 40min car ride from the airport (complimentary airport transfer). There's 4-6 flights from Manila to Dumaguete daily, depending on the weekday.

Feel free to email me for more info (saila@atmosphereresorts.com), I'm based in the resort.
Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom