Suggestions for dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 for the DG03. Great price to start, good readout, nitrox, gauge mode. What's not to like?

If you decide you want wireless gas integration later, you can add that, too.

I got the Mares Puck as a first computer and it works great with user replaceable battery. I currently use it as a backup in case my primary goes out I won't have to stop diving.

if u want to get a super budget computer, spend $300 or less and get whatever. if u plan to spend much more than that, u may as well spend the $850 for the best, a SW petrel. best warranty and service ever IME

guys, cut the dude a break. 0-24 dives, new to the sport, and you want him to buy a Shearwater ($$$$$)...... fabulous, but.....

My advice - get a budget level nitrox capable (likely just about all of them are now days) unit that has gauge mode, and dive it to your heart's content. Should you go whole hog later on and venture into some advanced diving, you can use it as the "required" bottom timer/depth gauge, and evaluate other options then. Done for <$300.

Sometimes I think you guys do this to new divers to get the used market flooded with more high end stuff when folks find diving is not for them....

---------- Post added March 21st, 2014 at 12:43 PM ----------

lowviz types faster than I do.....

I have an aversion to buying twice. It costs more money that way. Just buy the right computer that you can't outgrow the first time and be done with it. Seems simpler and cheaper in the long run.

Do you know how many people come to me and say they wish they had just bought the right computer the first time? I HATE HATE HATE wasting money. Save until you can get the right one.

Check out eBay. There are lots of used computers to be had for less than $150. A long as it does Nitrox and has a user replaceable battery it will make a great starter computer.

If you out grow it in a few years, you will be able to sell it for nearly as much as you paid.

Sarting out with a high end computer is like starting under water photo with a $20k DSLR rig. It will take years to learn and you may never need most of it's features.

I am very interested in getting my own dive computer ASAP what would anyone recommend for someone new to this sport but I don't want to pay a lot for.

When I asked on this board, most of the recommendations that I got were for the Zoop. It fit the criteria I posted, and I bought it. After using it for more a little more than a year, I posted an extensive review of the Zoop, with some comparison to the Mares Puck and the Cressi Leonardo, also entry-level computers.

The link for my review is here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...s-analyzers/476179-my-review-suunto-zoop.html

In both the short run and the long run, it will be cheaper to buy what you need at the time you need it instead of buying now what you might or might not need years from now. As you get more advanced, it is possible you won't even use a personal dive computer at all (rather, a depth gauge and bottom timer). Or it is possible that by the time you need to upgrade, a better high-end computer will be available, and you won't have tied up your dive computer budget in what is then an obsolete model.

Last edited:
I have a Hollis DG-03 and love it... i also had a Mares Insight which my wife now uses, that works great as well but i prefer the dg-03 and it is cheaper.

My wife also had a mares puck console which worked great but she needed to convert to wrist mount...

most computers will serve your needs, if i had to do it all over again i would've gotten two dg-03's for me and my wife... cheap and very effective with some room to grow with your diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom