Suggestions for dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crash-A-Nova

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have just completed my advanced course and 2 specialty courses towards my master scuba diver. I am very interested in getting my own dive computer ASAP what would anyone recommend for someone new to this sport but I don't want to pay a lot for. Please help thank you

It only comes down to one. The shearwater petrel. If you can't afford one, wait til you can buy one. Search Shearwater on this board and see hundreds of threads about how great the computer is and more importantly how great their support is.

Tell us about the diving you do and what type of diving you plan on doing.
Any features you care about or not? nitrox, air integration, wireless air integration, watch, puck, console, trimix, OC/CCR, gas switching.
Budget? (consider used, or must be new?)

Shearwater Petrel. Recreational Nitrox Mode, Open Circuit Air/Nitrox/Trimix, and Closed Circuit includes ZHL-16 in the box and you can add bubble model if you prefer. What's not to like??

There are more that 100 different model-specific dive computers out there in the market! Feel free to use our Dive Computers Research Tool

Whatever you end up purchasing, make sure you learn how to properly use it.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

My suggestion is to do your homework: Dive Computer Training

Then buy something inexpensive and used until you finally figure out that you really want the Shearwater XXXXX. Don't worry, it won't be a Petrel by the time you need it...

---------- Post added March 21st, 2014 at 12:37 PM ----------

Posts clashed, that's funny. No, I don't work for or profit by DiveNav...

guys, cut the dude a break. 0-24 dives, new to the sport, and you want him to buy a Shearwater ($$$$$)...... fabulous, but.....

My advice - get a budget level nitrox capable (likely just about all of them are now days) unit that has gauge mode, and dive it to your heart's content. Should you go whole hog later on and venture into some advanced diving, you can use it as the "required" bottom timer/depth gauge, and evaluate other options then. Done for <$300.

Sometimes I think you guys do this to new divers to get the used market flooded with more high end stuff when folks find diving is not for them....

---------- Post added March 21st, 2014 at 12:43 PM ----------

lowviz types faster than I do.....

guys, cut the dude a break. 0-24 dives, new to the sport, and you want him to buy a Shearwater ($$$$$)...... fabulous, but.....

My advice - get a budget level nitrox capable (likely just about all of them are now days) unit that has gauge mode, and dive it to your heart's content. Should you go whole hog later on and venture into some advanced diving, you can use it as the "required" bottom timer/depth gauge, and evaluate other options then. Done for <$300.

Sometimes I think you guys do this to new divers to get the used market flooded with more high end stuff when folks find diving is not for them....

---------- Post added March 21st, 2014 at 12:43 PM ----------

lowviz types faster than I do.....

+1

The newer you are to diving the longer you should wait to make expensive equipment purchases since you have little to gauge your needs on and anything you buy you're probably taking a stab in the dark guessing since you don't know what you don't know.

Almost any dive computer will work for any new diver, as said the 1st upgrade would be does the computer allow nitrox diving? As that is probably the first major option you will move up to in your diving, if you do at all.

Other than that you should know that dive computers are divided into 2 camps - those that you must send to the manufacturer for battery replacement and those that you can replace yourself. This fact is the most important to know for a newbie. Are you okay with $100-$150 annual battery replacements or would you be disappointed if you found out you could have bought another computer that accomplishes everything you want and you can change the battery yourself for $6.00 anytime you want? With the average dive computer selling for around $400 is it going to make you gag that over 10 years you'll spend 2x to 3xs ($1000-$1500) the cost of the computer just to change the battery or over 10 years you'll spend less than $100.00 on one you can change yourself?

I will be taking my niitrox class in a couple of weeks then a wreck class In a fee months I am mostly interested In doing wreck dives but will also be doing a lot of boat dives off of anacapa.

---------- Post added March 21st, 2014 at 12:08 PM ----------

I have been looking at the mares pick and the suunto zoop any suggestions on these two computers?

my back-up (actually the wife's primary) is a Mares Puck. It does what I need it to do, and quite simple. I like the one button to do things (i seem to forget what to push relating to multiple buttons), others don't. What I don't like is Mares support/customer service, and the rip-off price of the data cable. It took folks who worked in IT here on SB to get the software functioning (no help ever came from Mares). Its not a bad option. But don't count on Mares...

Lots of folks also like the Zoop.... I have no experience with them..

this looks interesting (and could grow with you too):

http://www.divegearexpress.com/computers/dg03.shtml

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom