Suggestions for beginner macro photography equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@howswedeofme one thing to consider is just not the cost of the camera and housing, but strobes and strobe arms. Good lights will make a huge difference in your ability to capture good photos. I would take an entry level camera like the TG4 or TG5 with decent strobes over a dslr with no strobes.

For reference - Bali, Indonesia - 2018 - Elsasser Photography - all shots in that gallery are with the TG4.
Oels
@howswedeofme one thing to consider is just not the cost of the camera and housing, but strobes and strobe arms. Good lights will make a huge difference in your ability to capture good photos. I would take an entry level camera like the TG4 or TG5 with decent strobes over a dslr with no strobes.

For reference - Bali, Indonesia - 2018 - Elsasser Photography - all shots in that gallery are with the TG4.
pelsasser c amazing shots. Would you mind sharing your setup? ( strobes housing, wtc)

@jf3193 - absolutely

@FezUSA Happy to share my journey through equipment.

Started out with the TG-4 and YS-03 package.

A few years later paired it with a YS-D2, eventually sold the YS-03 and bought a YS-D2J.

Finally I sold the TG-4 last year, and upgraded to an olympus EM1 mk 2 but am still using the YS-D2 and YS-D2J strobes on my current set up.

The YS-D2 does have TTL modes, as well as Manuals modes. I have found better luck with full manual settings on my strobes but many people find the opposite, so perhaps just a preference.

While my new set up is much larger and much nicer, I really enjoyed the journey of learning with the TG4 and a single TTL strobe. Only when I started becoming frustrated with not having full manual, and missing shots because of settings I couldn't access, etc, did I really consider a larger set up. I cannot imagine jumping into my current set up without having taken the intermediate steps in learning. For people who are already land based photographers, that its probably a lot easier. But when I first got my TG-4, I didn't know what aperture or ISO really meant and am glad I learned through a simpler and smaller camera initially.

I am using the Nauticam housing and dual YS-D2s now. See above for the rest

Second hand great way to go! The compact Olympus that has been suggested is terrific for macro. Look for one a few years old. Better deal if you can find someone selling camera,housing and strobe as a set. One decent strobe to start is fine. Lots of people selling these as they upgrade to dslr setups. And the compacts are super nice to travel with!,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom