Suggestions for beginner macro photography equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howswedeofme

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We are heading to Bali and Komodo in May for our first non-Caribbean dive trip and while my GoPro 6 with switchblade macro lens has generally been fine for the pricepoint for our Caribbean diving thus far, I am concerned that I won't be too happy with the macro capabilities for our upcoming trip (I believe the macro lens is only 58mm). What are some (not too pricey) suggestions for a beginner camera? I'd prefer to go with DSLR and would appreciate lens suggestions, as well. Do I need lighting and if so, what kind? Is a plastic polymer housing going to work? I don't do any tech diving, so I don't anticipate going below 120'.

In the alternative, if anyone has suggestions about how to get better results with a GoPro macro lens, I'm all ears (eyes?) on that front, as well.

Not to pricey and DSLR systems are pretty mutually exclusive. Based on research and recommendations I just got an Olympus TG-5 compact camera and housing for about $650. I'll be getting it wet for the first time in a couple of weeks, and can give some first hand impressions after.

The Olympus TG-5 is VERY well suited for macro photography and is easy to learn. I've had both the TG-4 and TG-5 and can't recommend them enough, particularly for the "bang for the buck" aspect.

We are heading to Bali and Komodo in May for our first non-Caribbean dive trip and while my GoPro 6 with switchblade macro lens has generally been fine for the pricepoint for our Caribbean diving thus far, I am concerned that I won't be too happy with the macro capabilities for our upcoming trip (I believe the macro lens is only 58mm). What are some (not too pricey) suggestions for a beginner camera? I'd prefer to go with DSLR and would appreciate lens suggestions, as well. Do I need lighting and if so, what kind? Is a plastic polymer housing going to work? I don't do any tech diving, so I don't anticipate going below 120'.

In the alternative, if anyone has suggestions about how to get better results with a GoPro macro lens, I'm all ears (eyes?) on that front, as well.
The jump from a GoPro to a housed DSLR is enormous. Kind of like a bicycle to a Formula One. You may want to stick with your "not too pricey" criterion and add "not too complicated." Like a Canon G7XmkII or that class of point-and-shoot. With a GOOD housing, not the cheapest you can find. That's just risky and frustrating.

I know it's a big jump and have considered making a smaller jump, but my husband (and his professional photographer stepdad) have added his $.02 that we should move closer to what works best in the long term instead of stair stepping. I should have qualified "not too pricey" as well. The DSLRs I was looking at are $450-600 but the housings are where I'm hitting some sticker shock. I'll check out the Olympus TG-5 and the Canon G7XmkII. Thanks for those suggestions!

Also, thanks for being gentle with your responses as I am a brand new baby photographer just flailing around, trying to photograph the tiny stuff I love so much.

@howswedeofme one thing to consider is just not the cost of the camera and housing, but strobes and strobe arms. Good lights will make a huge difference in your ability to capture good photos. I would take an entry level camera like the TG4 or TG5 with decent strobes over a dslr with no strobes.

For reference - Bali, Indonesia - 2018 - Elsasser Photography - all shots in that gallery are with the TG4.

Here's some examples shot with my Olympus TG-4, although not exactly macro, they're not in microscope mode either!! Put it in either of the microscope modes and you have serious macro super powers!!

Fireworm
P7220601-web.jpg

Juvenile Drum
P7210456-web.jpg

P7170068-web.jpg

P8100711-edit-web.jpg

P8090589-edit-web.jpg

@pelsasser would you mind sharing more about your set up? I've a couple of trips planned for July and October this year and I'm considering upgrading my strobe (or two?). I've started to have some very hit/miss shots with my single S&S YS-03 kit. The unit is not always firing, something that isn't entirely uncommon apparently. Was told to upgrade to the Japanese model of the YS-D2 as the China edition of that model also exhibits a similar issue. That's not a TTL strobe though, so I'm assuming I'll have some learning curve as I figure out the correct strobe power settings for a given scenario?

Your portfolio is fantastic and while I understand that it's the photographer that makes the picture, I could use a little insight myself that might also benefit the OP with regards to what you use, and if possible, even some info on how you set up the camera etc.?

Also willing to consider alternative brands/options.

Much appreciated!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom