Suggestions for Accessories placement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joyinthewater

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Sorry if this isn't the best place - couldn't find a perfect fit.
I just recently switched to a backplate and wing and I'm trying to streamline so I don't have dangles. I'm working on getting pockets. My 7ml doesn't have them. Do you guys have suggestions of web sites or info that would give me ideas on options if how and where to put things so they are contained yet accessible? Including things like my lights, compass, SMB, lift bag, GoPro, snorkel, lobster bag, etc? Even octopus though I'm trying a long hose set up now. Thank you!

Get pockets. Something like the shorts with pockets.

For compass, get a wrist one.

I'm not a fan of glued on pockets for my wetsuits, since sand gets in the velcro and then they're useless, so I got a pair of shorts with pockets when I recently took an advanced wreck class. The shorts with pockets work pretty well for spare masks, spools, SMBs, jon lines, etc I just tie a bolt snap on the butt of my lights and clip to a shoulder D-ring. Same with my GoPro when I take it - bolt snap on the bottom of the handle and clipped to a D-ring. But a lobster bag, especially with occupants, is going to be hard to stow anywhere. I just tie on a bolt snap and try to clip to a D-ring where it's most out of the way. If you don't like tieing on bolt snaps, you could always use double enders, particularly for the lobster bag. And if you run out of room on your D-rings, you can always risk ridicule by purists and add another D-ring or two where needed. A scientific diver friend added a bunch of D-rings because all the collection sample bags wouldn't fit and kept getting mixed up on just a few D-rings

Hi Sorry if this isn't the best place - couldn't find a perfect fit.
I just recently switched to a backplate and wing and I'm trying to streamline so I don't have dangles. I'm working on getting pockets. My 7ml doesn't have them. Do you guys have suggestions of web sites or info that would give me ideas on options if how and where to put things so they are contained yet accessible? Including things like my lights, compass, SMB, lift bag, GoPro, snorkel, lobster bag, etc? Even octopus though I'm trying a long hose set up now. Thank you!

Lights get clipped off on the chest d-rings and bungeed to the arm straps. Compass is on the wrist. SMB is in a pocket (get some XS Scuba glue-on pockets and use Aquaseal generously...problem solved), lift bag is bungeed to bottom of BP via two loops behind/outside of crotch strap, camera is mounted to scooter or clipped off to chest d-ring when not in use, snorkel is probably burried 100ft down at the landfill by now, lobster bag is a carry unfortunately, knife or shears on the waist belt, spare mask and dog clip in the other pocket, wet notes snuggled next to SMB, short-hose backup reg on necklace around neck, long-house wrapped around body and used as primary and for donation.

I'm not a fan of glued on pockets for my wetsuits, since sand gets in the velcro and then they're useless, so I got a pair of shorts with pockets

I don't get how having them glued on vs. wearing some pullovers affects sand getting into them. Also, I've never had sand get into the velcro of my pockets, probably because they are closed when I hit the sand.

I don't get how having them glued on vs. wearing some pullovers affects sand getting into them. Also, I've never had sand get into the velcro of my pockets, probably because they are closed when I hit the sand.
Go beach diving some time and you won't wonder about sand getting in to things, including velcro. I religiously obsessively wash all my gear every time I dive, and after beach diving, once everything is dried off there is still enough fine sand to form small sand puddles at the bottom of whatever you place your dive gear in. Velcro is notoriously bad for attracting the stuff - tank bands, wetsuits, pockets, gloves or booties. I just had my regulator serviced, and was told there was plenty of fine sand inside but no way to remove it without disassembly. And I usually just walk in and out through the surf. Anything bigger than ankle high will stir up some fine sand that finds its way in everywhere

I only wear the pants with pockets when I need them, typically off a boat, so sand doesn't become an issue

Back
Top Bottom