Suggestions for a Short Stay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laurie S.

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Next August, a friend and I are first doing a Red Sea liveaboard, followed by a land tour. That ends around August 19th. We are doing 12 days in Alor, Indonesia starting on August 25th. We are thinking of going to Thailand for the in-between period. I'm an underwater photographer, specializing in macro. My friend goes where I go. What would you suggest for a short stay that won't be too hard to get to, yet would allow a few days of diving and photography? We might do a day or two of sightseeing, too. Thanks!

Hi!! In my modest opinion Thailand is not good for macro. Also in the dates you are planing your trip is rainy season in Thailand!!!! Might get murky or low visibility there. If you are planning your trip to Alor, why don`t you go to Bali? There you can do land trips, diving and chill before your Alor trip!

Take care and feel free to pop up any question!!

Hi!! In my modest opinion Thailand is not good for macro. Also in the dates you are planing your trip is rainy season in Thailand!!!! Might get murky or low visibility there. If you are planning your trip to Alor, why don`t you go to Bali? There you can do land trips, diving and chill before your Alor trip!

Take care and feel free to pop up any question!!
Rainy seas in part of Thailand, but not in the other part.

Having said that, the Andaman Sea, where the best diving in Thailand is, will be in the rainy season. But that does not lead to murky seas or low visibility, seems you're misinformed.
Do agree that Bali is a good suggestion.

Rainy seas in part of Thailand, but not in the other part.

Having said that, the Andaman Sea, where the best diving in Thailand is, will be in the rainy season. But that does not lead to murky seas or low visibility, seems you're misinformed.
Do agree that Bali is a good suggestion.

Hope you are doing good stevenl. It is true rain might not mean murky or low visibility. It happened to me I dived in Phi phi around the same dates and was not impressed either about visibility and fauna!! Also in Indonesia when rainiy season hits we tend to have worse visibility!! It may happen only here!! Having said that Thailand is a beautiful country with a lot of things to offer!!

Take care folks

Thanks, we just might go back to Anilao for six days, instead. We were there last year and loved it. It still is close enough to be doable. I've been wanting to go to Bali, so that is a possible option, too.

Hope you are doing good stevenl. It is true rain might not mean murky or low visibility. It happened to me I dived in Phi phi around the same dates and was not impressed either about visibility and fauna!! Also in Indonesia when rainiy season hits we tend to have worse visibility!! It may happen only here!! Having said that Thailand is a beautiful country with a lot of things to offer!!

Take care folks
You being not impressed with visibility or fauna has nothing to do with the season.

As you say yourself, rain might now mean murky or low visibility, but then you continue with 'also'.

But enough of this, as I agreed, Bali would be a good option for the OP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom