Suggestions for a newly certified diver coming to Maui?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You'll be surprised at all the cool things I can show you in 20 feet of water! Some of the best dives on Maui are done right from shore, between 10 and 50 feet deep! Come check it out! You won't be dissappointed and you'll log long bottom times which will equate to making you a better and more comfortable diver. Scooters from shore are really a blast too!

KrisB:
Hey Tim... sorry I missed you while I was on Maui -- I was in the water absolutely every day, but left having finished my MSD!

I'm planning on coming back soon (probably July) for an extended period of time... and can wholeheartedly and authoritatively say that the shore dives were the HIGHLIGHT of my trip.

Molokini is great... but Uniroyal Reef (part of the same artificial reef as the St. Anthony) is AMAZING (this was a "shore" dive for me, albeit on a scooter)! Lanai is cool, but the just-about-guaranteed turtle sightings at Ulua is INCREDIBLE.

If you're looking for a dive shop in South Maui (as opposed to the ScubaBus that Doug drives), check out Maui Dreams Dive Co... definitely a good group of people for both instruction and guided dives. They even have scOOTers that you can go out on... and if you haven't done a scooter dive... well, let's just say you have to try it!

Oh, and Maui Dreams also has a buddy book, if you're just looking for someone to dive with you might be able to hook up with someone that way.

Since this last trip, my previously-unwavering recommendation of Ed Robinson's operation has been diminished... I haven't gone out with anyone else, but I think I'll be trying B&B and Mike Severns before signing up with ERDA again. I can share more in a PM, but it doesn't need to be aired here.

You didn't mention when your trip to Maui is... send me a PM if it's in July (or later) and I'll go diving with you, too.

Cheers,

-kb

Glad you had such a great time here (hard not to isn't it?) Let me know your schedule in July and we'll see about getting some shore diving in together then. (though I may be off island at that time...which would make it rather difficult to dive on Maui lol)

Aloha, Tim

P.S. Doug - nice seeing you in the water a couple weeks ago -

Shaka Doug:
You'll be surprised at all the cool things I can show you in 20 feet of water! Some of the best dives on Maui are done right from shore, between 10 and 50 feet deep! Come check it out! You won't be dissappointed and you'll log long bottom times which will equate to making you a better and more comfortable diver. Scooters from shore are really a blast too!
Hey Doug... I think some of the aloha spirit may have rubbed off on me in April -- this is twice in 24 hours that I'm agreeing with you!!! :-D

Shore diving off of Maui is phenomenal -- viz is almost always great and a good portion of the sites that you want to dive have easy entrance/exit from the water.

In fact, the only reason I'd want to do a boat dive is to get at the stuff you can't access from shore -- e.g. Molokini, Lanai, Wailea Point (well, ok, you *can* access that one from shore, but have fun getting you & your gear to the beach!)

kidspot:
Glad you had such a great time here (hard not to isn't it?) Let me know your schedule in July and we'll see about getting some shore diving in together then. (though I may be off island at that time...which would make it rather difficult to dive on Maui lol)

Aloha, Tim

P.S. Doug - nice seeing you in the water a couple weeks ago -
It is extremely hard not to have a great time on Maui... especially when the majority of the day is spent doing dive-related stuff!

I expect to be spending a few months (6-12) on Maui soon, so unless you're moving away, Tim, I expect we'll be able to hook up for a dive or two!

Back
Top Bottom