Suggestions for a newly certified diver coming to Maui?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjpv

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi folks,

I am wrapping up my OW certification now, in large part because the last time I was in Maui I tried snuba at Molokini :).

Anyway I'm trying to figure out where it would be best for me to dive. I'm comfortable in the water and I don't want to do 20ft shore dives, but at the same time I don't want to end up holding a group back because I'm in over my head or don't want to go check out that cool cavern at 120 feet.

So with that in mind, anyone able to suggest some dive sites that might be appropriate? West Maui and Lanai are the most convenient.

Thanks!

See if you can hook up with Kidspot for some shore diving in the Lahaina area. For charters, grab yourself a boat to Lanai and have a fabulous time exploring the Cathedrals. Typical profile for those is only about 60-65 feet with little to no current, so definitely do-able for a newbie. The two boats in West Maui that go to Lanai are Lahaina Divers and Extended Horizons.

I prefer Lahaina Divers for their big boats, and the fact they are $20 less per charter than Extended Horizons. However, the compromise is that they carry more divers (up to 22, though we've never had more than 18 to Lanai in all the charters we've done with them), and only provide AL72's. Because we're repeaters, they typically let us dive our computers and we're often "first off, last on" the boats, so rarely get a dive less than 45 minutes with them, especially for the 2nd tank. But that's just my personal preference, a lot of folks really prefer Extended Horizons.

One cool thing about Maui is there really aren't any "bad" ops there. There are a few that are better than others and there are many that have carved out their own niche, so sometimes it's just a matter of finding which op you fit with.

If you're inclined to go to S. Maui, hook up with Shaka Doug for shore diving, or for Molokini and S. Maui charters, check out B&B, Ed Robinsons, or Mike Severns. Those appear to be the top 3 recommended charter operators in the Kihei area.

btw - just because it's a 20ft dive doesn't mean it's not exciting :D Most of the best shore diving on Maui is in the 20-40ft range. And with those shallow dives you can easily get 60-90 minutes of bottom time, lots of time to practice bouyancy :D

Drop me a PM when you know your travel dates and we'll see about getting together for a dive or two while you're here. The area around Lahaina has a lot of good shore diving including: Black Rock(especially as a first night dive), Airport beach, Honolua, Mala warf, Oluwalu, Thousand Peaks, and many others - pick up the Diving Maui book from any LDS when you get here as it has directions and basic maps of a lot of the sites on Maui.

And I'd reiterate what DiveMaven said - if you decide to head on down to Kihei Shaka Doug would be a great choice in dive guides, for boats B&B is especially good with newer divers and if you are still gulping down air a bit fast just ask them for a 100cf tank (they usually don't even charge extra for it) and that way you won't have to end the dive early because of low air.

For Lanai your choices are limited to Extended Horizons, Maui Dive Shop and Lahaina Diver - I'd go Extended Horizons, but we really don't have many "bad" ops on Maui (They go out of business too quick with all the competition over here)

Aloha, Tim

As always, Tim's right on the money!

I have to say that not only is Black Rock a great first night dive spot, but it's also a great warm up dive spot when you hit the island. If it's been a little while since you've dove, rent a tank and weights from Maui Dive Shop at Whaler's Village and do a long shallow dive at Black Rock. Navigation is a snap since you simply keep the rock face on your right on the way out and on your left on the way back. :D

Black Rock will be our first dive when we're on Maui in December. Gonna get tanks the night before and hit the water early. I'm hoping Tim will be around and be available to meet us as I'd love to finally meet him....I'd even be willing to spring for breakfast afterward...but perhaps May is a little early to be making plans, eh? :wink:

I'll bug you a few weeks before we arrive and see if we can get together. I know we're going to need that warm up dive badly since it will have been a few months since getting wet, plus we're starting rescue the next day, so we want to make sure our gear is 100%.

Shore diving in Maui is great! Very good way to improve your navigation skills. Molokini is a great dive. If you are there during the winter listen for the whales it is the coolest thing. In the afternoons Lahaina Divers do a turtle reef dive that was easy and enjoyable.

I completed my OW in Maui a few years ago. I chose Lahaina Divers and all I can say is I am surprised I continued diving due to the experience with them.

If you are in the Kihei area B&B is great. Only 6 to 8 divers on board, personal service, great dives, no pressure to keep up with the group. They divided us up based on qualifications so there was no inconvenience to anyone else.

One dive took us to St. Anthony's Wreck, it's a cleaning station for turtles, great dive at least 7 turtles hanging out. I saw my first Eagle Ray here also. :D

Molokini was a great dive, but I would suggest inside the crater not outside until more experienced. Hope this helped...Enjoy..Touch of Energy :mostlysun

Thanks for the advice!

My family is going snorkeling out in Molokini so I already grabbed a scuba add-on for that trip, and I'm probably going to go out to Lanai and maybe Turtle Reef also.

I've been snorkeling at Black Rock (right near where I'll be staying) before so I hadn't really considered diving there, but now my interest is piqued (especially a night dive, haven't done one of those yet).

Great advice!

Hey Tim... sorry I missed you while I was on Maui -- I was in the water absolutely every day, but left having finished my MSD!

I'm planning on coming back soon (probably July) for an extended period of time... and can wholeheartedly and authoritatively say that the shore dives were the HIGHLIGHT of my trip.

Molokini is great... but Uniroyal Reef (part of the same artificial reef as the St. Anthony) is AMAZING (this was a "shore" dive for me, albeit on a scooter)! Lanai is cool, but the just-about-guaranteed turtle sightings at Ulua is INCREDIBLE.

If you're looking for a dive shop in South Maui (as opposed to the ScubaBus that Doug drives), check out Maui Dreams Dive Co... definitely a good group of people for both instruction and guided dives. They even have scOOTers that you can go out on... and if you haven't done a scooter dive... well, let's just say you have to try it!

Oh, and Maui Dreams also has a buddy book, if you're just looking for someone to dive with you might be able to hook up with someone that way.

Since this last trip, my previously-unwavering recommendation of Ed Robinson's operation has been diminished... I haven't gone out with anyone else, but I think I'll be trying B&B and Mike Severns before signing up with ERDA again. I can share more in a PM, but it doesn't need to be aired here.

You didn't mention when your trip to Maui is... send me a PM if it's in July (or later) and I'll go diving with you, too.

Cheers,

-kb

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom