Suggestions and places to avoid in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are (were? - I was there 15 years ago) some outstanding sites off Klein Bonaire - and you only get there by boat.....

As regards tipping...

If you're boat diving a tip is de rigueur for the DM/Crew. Also, we usually leave some $ for the "tank-handlers" at the dive op at the end of our stay, even if we exclusively shore-dive. They do, after all, keep those tanks filled and stacked, and the rinse water clean.

GypsyJim is right. Many times we'll dive, then spend the surface interval soaking up a few rays, then dive the same spot again, maybe look at my fin and go the other way from the first time.

If a few starter boat dives make you more comfortable, then by all means do it - Bon is all about diving the way YOU want to. I still wouldn't book them as a package, just sign up when you get there.

I will tell you that my first trip to Bon was with my bride and 12, 14 YO daughters. We stayed at the Plaza and did our first dive at Plaza/18 palms - as easy an entry as there is on bonaire. We did nothing but shore dives and had a wonderul time, no problems at all.

Belmar is great, haven't stayed a CC. Black Durgon is also great if you like 60's kinda funky, AND you get Small Wall as a shore dive.

One other bit: If you're going to do Hilma Hooker get there about 0800-0830, before the gangs/boats get there. There's often a school of tarpon in the hold first thing. The odds of seeing them are greater if you're on the wreck early.

edit: speling

As regards tipping...

If you're boat diving a tip is de rigueur for the DM/Crew. Also, we usually leave some $ for the "tank-handlers" at the dive op at the end of our stay, even if we exclusively shore-dive. They do, after all, keep those tanks filled and stacked, and the rinse water clean.

GypsyJim is right. Many times we'll dive, then spend the surface interval soaking up a few rays, then dive the same spot again, maybe look at my fin and go the other way from the first time.

If a few starter boat dives make you more comfortable, then by all means do it - Bon is all about diving the way YOU want to. I still wouldn't book them as a package, just sign up when you get there.

I will tell you that my first trip to Bon was with my bride and 12, 14 YO daughters. We stayed at the Plaza and did our first dive at Plaza/18 palms - as easy an entry as there is on bonaire. We did nothing but shore dives and had a wonderul time, no problems at all.

Belmar is great, haven't stayed a CC. Black Durgon is also great if you like 60's kinda funky, AND you get Small Wall as a shore dive.

One other bit: If you're going to do Hilma Hooker get there about 0800-0830, before the gangs/boats get there. There's often a school of tarpon in the hold first thing. The odds of seeing them are greater if you're on the wreck early.

edit: speling

There are quite a few sites on Bonaire which I enjoy arriving at just at, or even before first light. Even house reefs are usually totally deserted just at dawn, so you often have the reef to yourself. One of my favorite dives on Bonaire is to enter the water before dawn, and start the dive as a night dive. The reef gradually is waking up, and there comes a moment in every predawn when, in an instant, the water is filled with small fish of every type, as they rise from their overnight hiding places to begin the day. Love being there to witness that, undisturbed.

Jim is the man! Listen to him. It really doesn't matter where you dive in Bonaire just dive. go for different time frames. Keep it simple. its a wonderful island for divers!! Went with Jim this past summer on a trip he organized--he knows what he's talking about. Not that others don't as there is a lot of great info they are giving you--just I know Jim from experience.

Places to avoid:

Probably the most dangerous place on the island are dock steps. They can be very slippery so beware.

Other thoughts:

The brothel - I have never been there but for some reason it's does not sound like a safe hangout. I have heard it's a pink building!
Gypsyjim's place - he might make you cook wash and clean for your swill.
1000 steps - some one stole around 930 of them so beware of theft and treachery along the northern shores of paradise.
Breakfast at Buddy Dive - the seagulls have a keen eye for all things bacon.
The pod people when the cruise lines are in - sometimes it seems the population of the island doubles and after four hours there they are the experts on everything Bonaire.
If you stay at the Belmar (nice place) the ocean is more exposed there and will be a little rougher than down around the Sand Dollar.
The shopping district, based on the number of shops it could be three days before you find the rest of your party. Hint - they went diving without you (or was it the brothel ;-0 )
The vista blue dive site - could be addicting and cause a case of PBD.
The Trans World Radio station - gives God credit for all creation instead of being politically correct.
Definitely avoid the locals, you might find out that most of them are really nice folks and we would not want to ruin preconceived notions.
It's really OK that the airport is pink. That does not mean that your fins have to be. But that's OK if they are.

There are quite a few sites on Bonaire which I enjoy arriving at just at, or even before first light. Even house reefs are usually totally deserted just at dawn, so you often have the reef to yourself. One of my favorite dives on Bonaire is to enter the water before dawn, and start the dive as a night dive. The reef gradually is waking up, and there comes a moment in every predawn when, in an instant, the water is filled with small fish of every type, as they rise from their overnight hiding places to begin the day. Love being there to witness that, undisturbed.

Daybreak dives are the bomb. My women don't like to arise that early so I usually go solo, on the house reef, come back and cook/go to breakfast and we're off for a day of diving. But sometimes I just sleep in too. The wonder of Bonaire - no schedules to keep.

A "do this for sure": Pick a clear day (shouldn't be too hard) and take your beverages of choice (and mosquito repellant - deet 20%) and be on Seru Largu at sunset. Be sure and stay until after black dark. This is a good one to plan for on the return from the far northern sites (nukove, taylor made, candyland, etc.)

So right!! The last dive we do EVERY trip is the night/pre dawn dive..At a point midway through the dive, you turn off the dive light & moments later see the first stream of the Bonairean Sun as it penetrate the upper level of water. It is indeed a magical time to be U/W.!

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions! Keep them coming :) I believe I am making a final decision today with my boyfriend.. here's my current ranking based on the room, resort, reviews (here and in a book I got), and price:
1 Den Laman
2 Captain Don's
3 Belmar (but just found out they only have 3-BR available)
4 Divi Flamingo
5 Caribbean Club

I'm going to just book the unlimited shore and then decide if we want to do some boat dives a little later.. are most places booked up well in advance so I can't really make that decision and be able to get a spot while I'm on the island?

Daybreak dives are the bomb. My women don't like to arise that early so I usually go solo, on the house reef, come back and cook/go to breakfast and we're off for a day of diving. But sometimes I just sleep in too. The wonder of Bonaire - no schedules to keep.

LOL, that's the opposite with me. We end up doing a few dives that ends almost at midnight (after dinner, getting ready, gearing up) and did do 1 daybreak dive, only because our flight takes off 7AM the next day and we would have been ripped off of dives for a whole day if we didn't.

We did stay at the Plaza the last time, came with 10 boat dives, fully insured truck for the week, nitrox and all meals (prepared a la carte) and booze. Most dives were on Klein or way up north. Did the hilma hooker once and then there was a request to do it again...good thing there was a boat there already.

One thing bad about the DM guided dive was that the DM does nothing except hunt for lionfish.

compton384,
Have not stayed at any of the resorts you are looking at but would recommend Den Laman over the rest of them. Looking at staying there sometime in my future. Personally the others not so much but that's just me.

Back
Top Bottom