Suggestions and places to avoid in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, Compton 384. You can save quite a bit of money (especially if you share a rental car) by doing almost every dive from the shore on the main island of Bonaire. Most of the buoys that dive boats use there are less than 5 minutes' swim from shore. Spend your bucks on some boat dives to Klein Bonaire, though, where the water is often clearer. Maybe you can find a package that includes shore dives plus a few boat dives that you can save for Klein.

If you have a Kindle, you might drop $5 on Amazon and buy this eBook. It describes the best shore dives on Bonaire, as well as the boat dives around Klein Bonaire. I admit it, I'm the author and this is an unabashed plug. I almost always dive from shore on Bonaire: Amazon.com: Diving Bonaire eBook: George Lewbel: Kindle Store

Most of us who have been returning to Bonaire skip the added expense of the boat dives. Except for the island of Klien Bonaire, nearly every site is accessible by truck for shore diving. A shore package is cheap, and much more flexible than boat diving.

New comers often do a few boat dives their first trip down, just to get familiar with the diving, but it certainly is not necessary.

Shore diving allows you to pick, when, where, and how you wish to dive. You set your own schedule, and dive your own plan. THAT is what a big part of what makes Bonanire diving so unique.

We loved it there, going back in May.It's great to dive on your own schedual,and not have to depend on a boat.
Buddys has a great house reef right off the dock, rooms are basic.
Get hard soled dive booties for the shore diving.
Bring mosquito wipes for when you are waiting for your baggage at the airport.
Don't leave anything in your car, leave it unlocked.
Get a guide book. Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy, BSDME, Author Susan Porter

Get Nitrox certified

If it is just you and your boyfriend, then I would not opt for just the shore dive, since you would have to worry about navigation, air usage, when to turn around, and finding the buoy to return to the shore. If the boat package is not that much more expensive (especially if you give up on the rental truck), then that would be the way to go, with nothing except worry free diving.

As others said, you dive on your own schedule, but with lack of experience, your will likely not venture far off the buoy for the fear of not being able to find your way back.

The boat dives would usually take you to hard to access sites like walls or klein bonaire. They are not going to take you to somebody else's house reef. They other divers who does do shore dive in addition to the boat dives would be pissed off.

I have to suggest that navigation on Bonaire is not rocket science. Pretty simple reef to dive.

The reef to the north of the city is mostly a single reef dropping to @100', plus or minus. You enter, head out to top of reef (@15 to20' most places) look around for a recognizable landmark (odd word to use under water that), then drop down to whatever depth you wish to dive, going against the current. Work your way back up from deepest toward shallow, turning at or before 1/2 pressure, returning gradually to what ever depth your landmark was at until you find that landmark and exit.

South of the airport some great sites have a double reef, but if you keep in mind which reef you are on the navigation is pretty similar.

Having said that, my first trip to Bonaire we did a few boat dives, as a good way to acclimatize ourselves to the diving on Bonaire, and get some guidance from the DM's on what to look for. Our last trip we did do boat dives on Klien, and up in Washington Park (the 3 tank offering at the Plaza. Buddy has the same thing I believe)

"Bpnaire dive boat" = pickup truck.

We never sign up for boat packages. Book unlimited shore diving, then if you want to go to the east or Klein or the few inaccessible west-side sites book boat dives separately for that. If we go on a boat (verrrryyy infrequently) we go with Carib Inn as first choice, and only if they are going where we want to go.

Navigation is a non-issue on Bon. The reef slope parallels the shore. Write "R" on one fin, "L" on the other so you can keep up with which direction you turned (be sure and put the "R" on your "R" foot...). If all else fails, surface and look around. Or you could just copy and paste GypsyJim's suggestions onto your slate.

We somtimes arrive at a site and find a dive boat tied up to the buoy (especially Hilma Hooker, Cliff, Small Wall, Karpata, Andreas). If you do, no reason to get pissed, just get back in your "boat" and go somewhere else. You might also ask yourself why those folks are paying to dive the exact same site you're diving from shore - and logically following, why you would want to buy a boat dive package, barring some physical limitation...

Also, if there is a dive boat on a site you wished to dive, you do have the option to just relax and wait a few minutes. They won't be there all that long, as DM's don't usually keep diver U/W for max time (another reason it pays to pick, plan and dive your own shore dive!).

By the time you gear up and reach the site they will probably have moved on.

Also, I often dive a site several times. Even an hour later you can have a totally different dive, as the ocean is always offering something new to witness and enjoy. Even sites like Bari Reef, by den lamen, Buddy Dive and Capt don's, the reef off of the Plaza, or sites downtown such as Yellow sub etc, though dived by many divers every day, can make for great dives and warrant multiple dives, both day and night.

When I boat dive (which I haven't done on Bonaire), I generally feel some obligation to tip. After all, it's often pointed out on this forum that dive guides tend to have meager income, and tips are important. That said, if I were going to do a few boat dives in Bonaire, the prospect of leaving a few tips would come up. That's not necessarily bad, but if you're traveling on a budget and the shore diving doesn't involve tips...

Richard.

Thanks for all the good advice! I've been making a spread sheet of costs and comparing accommodations and think I'm going to go with Belmar or Caribbean Club, which are next to eachother and both use Buddy Dive. I have thought about the tipping thing, which is a big drawback, but it being my first time on Bonaire, I think it would be a good idea to do a few boat dives with a DM. Also, it will be my boyfriend's first recreational dives. He was an army diver, so he's experienced, but some aspects might be different to him.

compton384,
your getting great advice. but I don't think " Belmar or Caribbean Club, which are next to eachother" are in fact next to each other or comparable. if price is similar I'd do with Belmar from all I've heard. Been going to Bonaire over ten years. I usually stay at the black durgon inn but its a small place and not for everyone. agree with all that's been said and will reinforce what gbf said if boat diving Carib Inn is where I'd consider first. Belmar is south of town and Caribbean club very north of town if I am thinking of right places.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom