Suggestion for good beginner/ intermediate dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajim311

Registered
Reaction score
So me and my wife will be diving in monterey sat july 26th. We have less than 20 dives but have taken the advanced class so we're still beginners. We dove breakwater for our open water checkout and we dove there about a month ago also and it was awesome we had a great time. So does anyone have a suggestion for another good beginner/ intermediate dive in monterey?

MacAbee Beach. Park at El Torito's, dive on the beach next to it, get out and dry off, then eat lunch there. Parking fee is included in your meal!

Also good is the Metridium Fields on the far side of San Carlos Beach (Breakwater).

You can also consider Lovers 1 at Lovers Point, but this time of year the kelp gets quite thick there. Could eyeball it and decide if you would be comfortable there.

MacAbee Beach. Park at El Torito's, dive on the beach next to it, get out and dry off, then eat lunch there. Parking fee is included in your meal!

Also good is the Metridium Fields on the far side of San Carlos Beach (Breakwater).

Mcabee is one of my favorite dive sites. I was there two weeks ago and a harbor seal came to play with on our dive. Very cool.

Here is a great link that has tons of information about the site. Central Coast - Scuba Dive Spot - McAbee Beach, Monterey County

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

tanks for the advice i think i may try macabee. Has anyone else tried parking in the el torito parking lot? i read somewhere that if you make lunch reservations then they don't bother you. If i use another lot is it a long walk?

We had a young harbor seal playing tag with us for most of our dive at Lovers Point cove 3 yesterday, as well. That was a terrific dive, so much life and color, and we never got below 22 feet. Just amazing.

tanks for the advice i think i may try macabee. Has anyone else tried parking in the el torito parking lot? i read somewhere that if you make lunch reservations then they don't bother you. If i use another lot is it a long walk?

You can pay them $10 to park at El Torito if you don't eat there and they'll return it if you do.

It's also $8-10 to park all-day in the lot across the street from El Torito, and they're pretty good about letting you go in and out if you need to drive somewhere and come back.

Macabee is a great dive site - you can see a ton with straight compass headings -just swim out, check out the reef, and take a compass heading back in.

Just watch out for any exposed rebar on the entry/exit.

Also look out for rocks. If you are on your way back to shore and find yourself in shallow rocky water you went too far West.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom