Suggested reading?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYC-Diver

Reaction score
Any suggestions for a must-read about Indonesia or Bali?

I like reading about the modern history and politics of a country I'm visiting.

Any good books about Indonesia/Bali that would make decent airplane or beach reading?

Any great novels set in Indonesia that gives an inkling into how the average Indonesian lives? Any great WWII histories?

There book is a great book written by K'tut Tantri, The Romance of K'tut Tantri and Indonesia, Kuala Lumpur: Oxford University Press, 1997, about K'tut Tantri also known as Surabaya Sue about a Scotticsh born Amercian woman that came to Bali in 1930's, an definite part of Balinese history.
Also Timothy Lindsey, The Romance of K'tut Tantri and Indonesia, Kuala Lumpur: Oxford University Press, 1997 which quite interesting as well.

Also check out Indonesia in the Soeharto Years:

enjoy good reads all of them

You can pick up this excellent fish ID book for USD $30 online (in USA) Many of the photos were taken in Indonesia (Lembeh straits for sure).

Reef Fish Identification - Tropical Pacific by Gerald Allen, Roger Steene, Paul Humann, and Ned DeLoach

You can pick up this excellent fish ID book for USD $30 online (in USA) Many of the photos were taken in Indonesia (Lembeh straits for sure).

Reef Fish Identification - Tropical Pacific by Gerald Allen, Roger Steene, Paul Humann, and Ned DeLoach

+1 This is the one essential book. I also found Simon Winchester's book on Krakatoa to be an entertaining read that gave me some sense of the colonial history of Indonesia.

Amazon.com: Krakatoa: The Day the World Exploded: August 27, 1883: Books: Simon Winchester

My recommendation for Diving related books:
1. Diving Bali, David Pickell and Wally Siagian; Periplus
2. Diving Indonesia, Kal Muller; Periplus
3. An underwater guide to Indonesia, R. Charles Anderson; Times Edition
For non-diving, fiction, non-fiction and Indonesian classic - please check Equinox Publishing Indonesia – The Leading Publisher of English-Language Books on Indonesia
If you like novel, then Pramoedya Ananta Toer's book is must read. His books were forbidden during Soeharto era. When I was student; I took the risk for jail to get his best book - the buru quartet (ie. this earth of mankind, child of all nations, foot steps and house of glass).

We have travelled and dived in Bali about a half a dozen times and share your passion for learning about the country you are visiting.
Two books you may find of interest are: Our Hotel In Bali by Louise G. Koke. Tells the story of a young American couple who built a hotel up from scratch in Kuta in 1936. Interesting from both the historical and personal perspective.
The other is 'Fragrant Rice' by Janet De Neefe. An Australian woman who moved to Bali in 1974 and ended up owning two very successful restaurants. There is obviously a lot of emphasis on Balanise food in this one.

Enjoy your trip, but beware, the place can become addictive!

Just remembered a third book, also by a woman author is 'A Patch Of Paradise' by Gaia Grant. Another Australian couple who gave up a 'First World' lifestyle and settled for a beach-shack in Bali.

If you really want a great book that takes you all over SE Asia both under water and above water you must pick up a copy of Diving the World by Beth and Shaun Tierney....Footprint publishers. We have been planing our last 2 years vacations out of it and wouldn't leave home without it.

Try the Lonely Planet Guide. Chapters on history, political situation, culture, environment etc etc. Plus maps, local advice, food, language glossary and suggested further reading. Very useful and up to date.

You can try the Malay Archipelago, by A. Wallace; makes a good reading and you will learn everything about the "Wallace line"

Thanks for the tips.

Just picked up Winchester's "Krakatoa" and Pramoedya Ananta Toer's "All That Is Gone" for $10 for both at The Strand. The Soeharto's bio looked a little too weighty for a surface interval. :)

And, the De Neefe and K'tut Tantri books looked a little too much like 'chick lit' for my tastes. Any Bali books people know about that aren't academic art tomes, or just accounts by female expats about living there?

I was disappointed that I couldn't find a copy of Folk Tales of Indonesia anywhere. The Library has it, but it is reference only. :-(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom