Suggested Diving in San Diego???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awall54308

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife an I are coming to town 7/20-7/28. We would like to spend 3 days diving. My wife doesn't like going deeper than 50 feet. Can anyone suggest a good boat charter to go out on that would stay shallow?

Also, is s 6mm wet suit really needed??? It seems to me that a 3mm should be warm enough. What do you think?

awall54308:
My wife an I are coming to town 7/20-7/28. We would like to spend 3 days diving. My wife doesn't like going deeper than 50 feet. Can anyone suggest a good boat charter to go out on that would stay shallow?

Also, is s 6mm wet suit really needed??? It seems to me that a 3mm should be warm enough. What do you think?

I'll let some of the locals give you advice on good dive sites that don't exceed 50ft...but as far as the wetsuit goes...it would be a good idea to use the 6mm. It all depends on your tolerance, but I would bet you'll be cold with a 3mm. :14:

A 6mm or 7mm wetsuit with hood would be the wise choice.

La Jolla cove is a great site. Easy entry, lots to see. Get there early for parking.

A dive off Nautilus street, come down the white steps head North and swim out 100 meters and you will find a small kelp reef with lots of life.

awall54308:
It's not the charter, but the destination. You'll be happy with the Pt. Loma kelp beds or the Coronado Islands. You don't want dives to the Yukon or Ruby E.

If you're comfortable for an hour in 58-60 degree water wearing a compressed 3mm, go right ahead. I've dove Catalina in the summer wearing a 5mm farmer john, but it tends to be a bit colder in San Diego. Those who don't wear 7mm suits out here are diving dry.

Shore dives like La Jolla Shores or the Cove you will get by with a 5 mm ...Boat dives like the Kelp off of Marine St La Jolla or Hill St Point Loma, The Ruby E or the NOSC Tower / PB artificial reefs can be done in a 5mm in July but the second boat dive is going to be cold. 3mm is out of the question in San Diego.

You're going to want to wear a 7mm.....definitely.....it's not overkill....

If you are going to charter it out of San Diego I would recommend the Lois Ann and head to the kelp beds.

You also may want to think about taking a charter out of Long Beach (about 75-100 miles from San Diego but a nice easy drive) and head over to Catalina on a dive boat for the day.

Don't think about putting your wife in a 3mm for this water! During the summer if it gets warm enough, sometimes I can go without a hood (and pretend I'm diving tropical), but I'm always in a 7mil.

Don't skimp on the protection, you may hear reports in July of the water being 65 but that is just at the surface, below the thermacline it is always colder, usually below 60. For shallow off a charter you certainly want to stick with something like the Coronados or Pt Loma Kelp Bed trips. For diving from shore the Cove is a really nice dive when conditions are calm and there is no surge, you typically won't get passed 40feet there.

Doing more than 1 dive or more than 1 day of diving in a 3mm isn't gonna happen, it will just be too cold.

Kim

awall54308:

I've had good luck with both Lois Ann and Dive Connections. Look at their schedules for when you'll be there. As others have said stay away from Yukon and Ruby E if you want to stay shallow.

I think I'll take everyones advice and bring my 7mm with me. However, being a Michigan diver, 60° sounds warm!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom