Suggest me a Monterey area shore dive (or two)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're already on the boat, ask (or FORCE) the captain to take the boat to Carmel.

After two dives and the ride back though, you probably won't want to do any shore diving, but if you do, head to Point Lobos to see if by then any of the teams have checked out. You might get in. It's now $30 for two divers and one car though.

If you're already on the boat, ask (or FORCE) the captain to take the boat to Carmel...

Force may be a little strong. I admit getting to Carmel Bay is something you really want to do, but it isn’t always possible due to weather or the skills of the passengers. I don’t think I want to be on a boat where I can coerce a captain into something they feel is imprudent. However, staying in Monterey Bay to save fuel is another matter.

This post, though not directly related, may provide some perspective:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5346296-post12.html

We're diving off the Monterey Express - opinions? I didn't realize we might be able to get in to Lobos if some of the other teams have already left, thought it was limited to 30 per day - not just 30 at one time. Maybe we'll head over there and hope for the best.

Thanks for all the responses - I appreciate all the input

Force may be a little strong. I admit getting to Carmel Bay is something you really want to do, but it isn’t always possible due to weather ...

Have you looked at the forecast for this weekend?

Tell the captain if he doesn't go to Carmel, you'd rather shore dive Carmel. :popcorn:

We're diving off the Monterey Express - opinions? I didn't realize we might be able to get in to Lobos if some of the other teams have already left, thought it was limited to 30 per day - not just 30 at one time. Maybe we'll head over there and hope for the best.

Thanks for all the responses - I appreciate all the input

Is captain Phil driving this weekend? If so, he'll go.

Have you looked at the forecast for this weekend?...

We're diving off the Monterey Express - opinions?…

I got a call yesterday from Tim (the Captain of the Express) saying it looks like it will be excellent. He drives a whale boat out of Moss Landing during the middle of the week and called me from there. Bummer I can’t go. Please only post terrible reports so I don’t feel so bad. :(

She is a Newton 42, twin screw Cats, pretty fast, beamy, good electronics, and well set up for photographers. I believe she is the largest dive boat in the bay, which includes all the pros and cons of that attribute. The best of all worlds is being on her, or most all boats for that matter, when she is half full. There is a wide aluminum swim platform and two ladders typical of the Newton dive boats. They anchor with all chain so she stays hooked very well.

They fill bottles off a gas trailer so you don’t have a compressor onboard or the mains running unless you are underway. I don’t think any of the boats in the bay are obsessively uptight about the latest rules from the certification gods. The Express can make it into Carmel Bay if any of them can. From the reports, you should have no problem, at least on a morning run. Carmel Bay is so spectacular when conditions are good they know you will come back and tell friends. I have never known Tim to stay in the bay just to save fuel.

All of the Express' crew I have met are genuinely nice people, know diving and the area, and are happy to help. You should have a great time.

mpenders:

Were you aboard the Express on the run were the Humpback surfaced near Point Joe? I just got an E-mail about it.

I was! If you head to the Monterey Express' facebook page, you'll see a video submitted by my dive buddy on that trip. I think I may even have a cameo appearance or two in it.

I just tried to post photo's of the whale encounter, but don't have enough posts to be able to submit them yet. I'll try again here in a few minutes.

mpenders:

Were you aboard the Express on the run were the Humpback surfaced near Point Joe? I just got an E-mail about it.

Yep! It sounded like our dive trip turned out to be one of the better whale trips that Capt Tim has run this year.

A couple of pics:

He (she?) surfaced several times just feet off of the transom.

After a couple passes under the boat, he spy-hopped about 40 feet off the transom, took a long look at us and slowly submerged.

Another dive charter boat came up alongside and shut down her engines, and the humpback turner his attention to them.

And the diving was fantastic too! Our first dive was on The Needle, a.k.a: Half Dome. Second dive was at Pinnacles. My buddy and I worked in one more shore dive that day, off the west side of Lover's Point - recommended by the boat's DM. He mentioned that the excellent conditions would allow us to dive the normally challenging site.

I have dive pic's that I can post too...if anyone is interested.

Back
Top Bottom