Sucking in water together with air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, new here. I had a deep dive (20+m) recently and had a scary incident (enough for me to stop that dive).
As I was descending, when I was sucking in air through my regulator, a small stream of water entered along.
I lipped my mouth piece tighter, even used my hand to position it firmly but this influx of water continued. It's not a lot but enough for u to feel it is streaming into your lungs.
I asked my DM after we surfaced and his answer was my mask had some water and I could be breathing through my nose as well...
I am not ruling that out but I just never had this issue in all my dives (just 20).
So asking here, anyone knows what could be the cause. And if it is equipment issue, how do we check or rectify it? Appreciate any advice or sharing of similar experiences/ solution.

Did you try your second regulator? It happened to me a couple of times that the exhauist valve was bent, sealing imperfectly, causing the reg to "breath wet".
Switching to the alternate one fixed the problem, allowing me to continue the dive..
You have two regs exactly for cases like this one.

Was the regulator a rental?
If it's not the mouthpiece or the diaphragm the second stage housing might be cracked. We barely managed to figure out where my reg was leaking because the crack was hidden and only leaked when torqued a bit.
It sounds benign at first but if it surprises you and you inhale a bit of water it can lead to a laryngospasm.

Hi,
Thanks everyone for their sharing and insights,
Yes, it was a rental outfit and it gradually got worst. From slight slip of water, it eventually became steady stream as I suck air out from the regulator.
It was then I got panick and stopped the dive.
I didn't use the 2nd regulator then. But on hindsight, that should be my next option, instead of stopping and surfacing up. (I must admit I was panicking and was more concerned with getting out than problem solving)
I am still keen to dive but of course, I would like to avoid such incident and learn how to trouble shoot if it does occur again.
Thanks for again for narrowing down the issue. Will goggle for more information

Hi, new here. I had a deep dive (20+m) recently and had a scary incident (enough for me to stop that dive).
As I was descending, when I was sucking in air through my regulator, a small stream of water entered along.
I lipped my mouth piece tighter, even used my hand to position it firmly but this influx of water continued. It's not a lot but enough for u to feel it is streaming into your lungs.
I asked my DM after we surfaced and his answer was my mask had some water and I could be breathing through my nose as well...
I am not ruling that out but I just never had this issue in all my dives (just 20).
So asking here, anyone knows what could be the cause. And if it is equipment issue, how do we check or rectify it? Appreciate any advice or sharing of similar experiences/ solution.

You’ve gotten good answers above; I’ll comment on your DM saying you might have taken water in through your nose. That’s a hard “NO”. You’d feel it. Dip your nose into the sink and try to inhale water through your nose. You might want to have a towel handy.

Hi,
Thanks everyone for their sharing and insights,
Yes, it was a rental outfit and it gradually got worst. From slight slip of water, it eventually became steady stream as I suck air out from the regulator.
It was then I got panick and stopped the dive.
I didn't use the 2nd regulator then. But on hindsight, that should be my next option, instead of stopping and surfacing up. (I must admit I was panicking and was more concerned with getting out than problem solving)
I am still keen to dive but of course, I would like to avoid such incident and learn how to trouble shoot if it does occur again.
Thanks for again for narrowing down the issue. Will goggle for more information
Keep in mind that while switching to your back-up is an option to get a dry reg, most would consider this a "non-fixable problem" and one that will demand an immediate return to the surface. the consequence of this way is that you do not have a regulator to donate to your buddy in case of emergency.
So, in my opinion, the good solution here is to switch regs, so you have a good reg that doesn't breathe wet and then communicate a "thumb" to your dive buddy, and if at all possible regarding stresslevels, communicate that your "other reg is broken". That way your buddy knows you are fine, but that you (the team) does not have gas-sharing possibilities for half the team.
Complete your safetystop (or go calmly straight to the surface if you feel that is prudent), but don't extend your dive after you switch regs.

Hi again,
Wonderful and informative sharing, thank you everyone.
Managed to narrow down after good advice from here and found a good youtube video on faulty regulator. (I am not affiliated with the video owner and if this link is against any rules, my apologies and I will take it down.)

Apparently, as some pointed out here, it's the diaphragm or the exhaust piece. (And from your diving position when it happens, it can help to further narrow it down to just 1) But seems like you are can't detect any potential issues when you are on dry land unless you take apart the regulator (something the dive centres definitely won't allow, at least not around my region).

So using that emergency/2nd regulator and the proper procedures for that will be the only solution, if it does happens.

A good practice is to check the diaphragm before every dive by breathing from the second stage before turning on the tank. You should get zero air leakage.

A good practice is to check the diaphragm before every dive by breathing from the second stage before turning on the tank. You should get zero air leakage.
The exhaust vale can get flipped and bent open from a giant stride. You won't catch this from a pre-dive test.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom