Successful diver resue in Cayman......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LavaSurfer:
I know the woman and crew that had the accident and her situation is exactly what is stated in the article. All I know is hearsay from a mutual friend. The only thing left out is that she was biting hard on her mouthpiece which cause water to come in on an inhale causing the spasm. She was also only at 70 feet according to her not 90. She is not a member of this board and wants to remain annonymous. Everyone is going to be fine. Jennie did an amazing job and risked her own life to save another. In return she took a hit but saved a life.

I was actually looking for a recount of the event by Jenny, the rescuing Instructor, & anyone else who may have assisted...

Thanks,
DSD

very good story. it is nice to hear that the training we recieve can be recalled in a time of need. gald all the divers are ok and would like to say that if i ever needed the assistance of another diver like that, the person helping me will be able to do a good job like this PADI professional did

The artical in the paper is pretty much exactly what happened in this incident. I was the rescueing instructor.

Yes, the diver was biting down on her mouthpiece to hard which allowed water to come in. Thankfully her buddy was right next to her to catch the problem & me seeing the 2 in big trouble took over.

I never heard of this type of spasm before but I am very glad that all of us turned out okay in the end.

I get to start diving again today so I am quite excited and thankful to be back into the big blue in a few hours. A shallow dive of course but better than nothing at all.

Respect,

Jenny

scubajenny:
The artical in the paper is pretty much exactly what happened in this incident. I was the rescueing instructor.

Yes, the diver was biting down on her mouthpiece to hard which allowed water to come in. Thankfully her buddy was right next to her to catch the problem & me seeing the 2 in big trouble took over.

I never heard of this type of spasm before but I am very glad that all of us turned out okay in the end.

I get to start diving again today so I am quite excited and thankful to be back into the big blue in a few hours. A shallow dive of course but better than nothing at all.

Respect,

Jenny

Great work Jenny. I am really glad to hear you are OK and doing well.

Congratulations on your successful rescue. Your quick thinking undoubtedly saved a life.

As a way of helping other divers who may someday have to deal with the same problem, can you describe what you did? It would be very helpful for training purposes to learn what worked for you in this case. For example, was the victim still choking when you got to her? Was she breathing on her own? Whose regulator was she using? Did you try to hold a regulator in her mouth? If so, how did you do this? How did you control her bouyancy? Did you have any help on the way up? At the surface? Any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

scubajenny:

Respect,

Jenny

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom