Substitute for glowsticks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tamas:
Light-sticks or other smaller light sources can also be useful when boat diving at night to mark the line, the ladder, the bottle if hung from the line, marking the exit at night if shore diving...etc.

Electronic light sticks are a smarter alternative to the chemical sticks since they do no create garbage and are not filled with potentially harmful chemicals.

Yes, thank you! and I use the kind that you recommened. It doesn't give off enough light as a backup light, it's just used as a Tank Marker & that's it. Beside's I was taught to use a tank marker, in addition to my primary & backup light. :wink:

Miranda, thanks for the backup as well.

fire_diver:
I like to put em on a long tether then swim around so it stays about 2-3 foot deep. Then swim around the pier to freak out the drunks. Nothing like a wierd green glow moving around the water at night. :eyebrow:

FD

I'm going to have to try that. :D

fire_diver:
I like to put em on a long tether then swim around so it stays about 2-3 foot deep. Then swim around the pier to freak out the drunks. Nothing like a wierd green glow moving around the water at night. :eyebrow:
I inadvertently found that you can freak out fellow divers pretty good by NOT having a tank light, having your main light turned off, and then letting the current drift you down onto them while not moving. The couple doing a night shore dive in front of our Cozumel hotel told me the next morning that they thought I was a dead body. :)

Charlie99:
I inadvertently found that you can freak out fellow divers pretty good by NOT having a tank light, having your main light turned off, and then letting the current drift you down onto them while not moving. The couple doing a night shore dive in front of our Cozumel hotel told me the next morning that they thought I was a dead body. :)
:lol: Too funny! :lol:

I use glo-toobs too... especially after doing a little independant testing. We had four people on a night dive, each using different markers. Out of a red Pelican Flasher, a Uk dive beacon, a green cyalume, and a blue glo-toob, the glo-toob was both the brightest underwater and the only one visible to the zodiac tagging along.

We use lazer stiks, glotoobs, tank marker lights, or yoke lights that attach to your regulator so you don't leave them on the boat:
http://crazyscuba.com/cat_safety_marker.cfm

Good luck!

Britt :fish:
:fish:

Tamas:
Light-sticks or other smaller light sources can also be useful when boat diving at night to mark the line, the ladder, the bottle if hung from the line, marking the exit at night if shore diving...etc.

Electronic light sticks are a smarter alternative to the chemical sticks since they do no create garbage and are not filled with potentially harmful chemicals.
I agree in general, and I personally dive with a UK tank marker light and a Princeton Tec EcoFlare LED strobe. I don't like having to constantly buy new glow sticks, and always worry if I remembered to buy one, and be careful they don't get accidentally fired off, etc. (I do a LOT of night diving). But I will note this:

Has anyone ever investigated just how bad the chemicals in a glowstick are for the environment (they're quite non-toxic, in theory) compared to the damage used batteries do (both in the manufacturing process and disposal)?

I haven't investigated it, but they sell them to kids at Disney, carnivals, etc., so they can't be that bad. Otherwise I'm sure we would already have seen a lawsuit on them. :wink:

I was wondering - what would be the best color to use? I was thinking about a flashing red one. And then I was going to get my fiancee a green one, and me a orange one. That we we can distinguish ourself from other divers. What color is the most visible underwater?

reefugee:
What color is the most visible underwater?
Typically it's blues and greens. White marker lights are pretty visible too. Reds and oranges aren't that hot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom