Subjective Test: SP Twin Speeds v. Mares Volo Power

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mase

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
While diving in Cozumel last month, my son and I conducted a very subjective test between Scuba Pro Twin Speed Fins and Mares Volo Power Fins. We did 10 dives with Dive with Martin and changed Fins after each dive, so we could keep the comparisons fresh in our minds. We alternated deep dives and tested the fins against the current.
Transport:Mares VP packs better. The SP Twin speed is a very long fin and can make packing problematic.
Comfort: We both preferred the SB Twin speed. My size 12 and his size 11 feet caused our toes to rub the end of the foot pocket in the Mares VP, size XL. Nothing too serious but noticeable.
Bindings: Both fins were easy to adjust but the release on the Mares VP was a nail breaker. However, after a little use I adjusted, my son not as much. Once again we both preferred the SP Twin Speed.
Finning: When swimming with the current both fins performed admirably. With the SP twin speed you could barely feel that you were wearing fins. Slight advantage SP Twins. However when swimming against the current the Paddle fin Mares VP out performed the Split fin SP Twin Speed Significantly. With regards to manuverability the difference was negligible. Frog kick, advantage Mares VP.
The final subjective test was: Choose a fin to dive with:We both reached for the Mares VP. Despite some of the inconveniences metioned above, thrust seemed to be the determining factor.
Note: In the interest of fairness, we met two other divers with SP Twin Speeds, who loved them, packing was their only issue.
Hope this very subjective test, conducted using absolutely no scientific standards whatsoever, is of some help.

What kind of boots were each of you using? Molded sole?

SharkDZ:
What kind of boots were each of you using? Molded sole?
Soft Sole. The rubbing I mentioned was minimal and in the final analysis did not deter from our choosing the Mares VP as our preferred fin.

Cool, just got a pair.
I'll get to try them next week!

I have a pair of xl black/grey Volo powers I would like to get rid of. If anyone is interested pm me.

Flat

mase:
While diving in Cozumel last month, my son and I conducted a very subjective test between Scuba Pro Twin Speed Fins and Mares Volo Power Fins. We did 10 dives with Dive with Martin and changed Fins after each dive, so we could keep the comparisons fresh in our minds. We alternated deep dives and tested the fins against the current.
Transport:Mares VP packs better. The SP Twin speed is a very long fin and can make packing problematic.
Comfort: We both preferred the SB Twin speed. My size 12 and his size 11 feet caused our toes to rub the end of the foot pocket in the Mares VP, size XL. Nothing too serious but noticeable.
Bindings: Both fins were easy to adjust but the release on the Mares VP was a nail breaker. However, after a little use I adjusted, my son not as much. Once again we both preferred the SP Twin Speed.
Finning: When swimming with the current both fins performed admirably. With the SP twin speed you could barely feel that you were wearing fins. Slight advantage SP Twins. However when swimming against the current the Paddle fin Mares VP out performed the Split fin SP Twin Speed Significantly. With regards to manuverability the difference was negligible. Frog kick, advantage Mares VP.
The final subjective test was: Choose a fin to dive with:We both reached for the Mares VP. Despite some of the inconveniences metioned above, thrust seemed to be the determining factor.
Note: In the interest of fairness, we met two other divers with SP Twin Speeds, who loved them, packing was their only issue.
Hope this very subjective test, conducted using absolutely no scientific standards whatsoever, is of some help.

Just curious, where you using the same kind of kick methods for both fins while swimming against current?

mobeeno:
Just curious, where you using the same kind of kick methods for both fins while swimming against current?
When using the split fins, I use a shorter(smaller) flutter kick. I have also tried to expand the kick but that makes things worse.

I'm with ya in regards to the Volo powers, they are an awesome fin... but then again so is the scuba pro, I'd say that you will have a hard time going wrong with either of them. The one thing I can say is that I will never go back to a standard paddle fin, it's Pivoting blade, splits or nothing.

I've had a pair of Twin Speeds for a couple of years now and can really relate to the packing problem. They essentially are carry ons. As to performance, I find them a little long underwater in swim throughs. Comfortable and easy on the legs. Seem to have good propulsion compared to other divers. Making the change to jetfins though, length is just an irritant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom