Subic tech: Boardwalk or Arizona?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Makhno

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Greetings. I'm considering going back to Subic Bay for some tech diving, and am wondering about other divers' recent experiences with Boardwalk and with Arizona dive centers. Which should I choose, and why? We'll probably want to do at least a day inside the New York (maybe two) and also see a couple of the deeper wrecks (like 50-55m); not sure about doing deep trimix dives to the wreck or wrecks around 70m. I'll be on open circuit and my buddy will be on CCR, if that's relevant. Cheap lodging and nearby food and drink are advantages, but not determinative. Thanks in advance for your advice.

New York should be the main issue because of the movement of US Naval Warships.
Broadwalk is right inside the Free Zone so cheap lodging could be another issue. I am not too sure if public transport is available inside the Zone.
Arizona is at Barrio Barretto and relatively cheap lodging and food are readily available.
Take a look at Caribbean Tigress at Mango's Dive Centre which is also at Barrio Barretto.

Thanks, Centrals. I think my friends are set on Boardwalk, and indeed I've heard good things about them from other tech divers. I'm looking forward to diving the New York again.

George at Boardwalk was the place to go for tech diving in the past and they are still a good shop. I would definitely drop Kent at Arizona Dive Shop an email. Kent has made an investment in teaching and supporting tech diving in the last year and a half. Having dived with both, Arizona is my choice for Subic tech diving at this time.

I'm looking forward to diving the New York again.
I hope you do realize that the presence of Uncle Sam's Warship will render the dive on New York out of the question. And they have been visiting Subic Bay quite regularly over last few years.
Best of luck.

There's two issues with US Navy resources visiting the Port.

If it's a warship (active duty) then an exclusion zone applies. In some cases (especially submarines) that exclusion zone 'covers' the USS New York site.

If it's an MSC (reserve duty/contractor) vessel, then they only tend to limit access to the USS New York site when a vessel is moving in/out of Port. Typically, that's just a few hours.

Access to the USS New York is actually quite liberal. When it is restricted, it's often for just a 1/2 day. Dive centers typically won't make 'promises' however, because they don't get much advance warning of if/when access to that site may be restricted by the port authority.

Thanks, Centrals, yes I remember that issue of restrictions on diving the New York.

DevonDiver, usually the port authority knows well in advance when a US Navy warship plans to stop in Subic Bay, right? So the dive centers can predict reasonably well a couple months in advance whether there will be any restrictions on diving the New York, right? Or have I been misinformed?

I hope you do realize that the presence of Uncle Sam's Warship will render the dive on New York out of the question. And they have been visiting Subic Bay quite regularly over last few years.
Best of luck.
That is not always the case...however it can be very hit or miss. I have been diving on the New York while there have been warships and US Military Sealift Command ships present. Like many things in the Philippines, the exclusion rules and enforcement of the exclusion zones tends to be a bit variable.

DevonDiver, usually the port authority knows well in advance when a US Navy warship plans to stop in Subic Bay, right? So the dive centers can predict reasonably well a couple months in advance whether there will be any restrictions on diving the New York, right? Or have I been misinformed?

Misinformed.

That information isn't released. We get approval the morning of diving. Sometimes the authority doesn't even know for that afternoon.

We're lucky if we know a few hours in advanced.

Misinformed.

That information isn't released. We get approval the morning of diving. Sometimes the authority doesn't even know for that afternoon.

We're lucky if we know a few hours in advanced.

OK. Thanks for the info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom