My upcoming trip to Subic Bay, Malapascua, and Coron

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ryanoceros

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm planning to visit Subic Bay, Malapascua, and Coron each for about a week starting mid May in that order.

I'd love to hear if anyone has any recommendations for this upcoming trip: favorite wrecks / dive sites, dive shops, cheap lodging, other stuff to do in the areas. I don't dive deeper than 40m or do decompression diving. Anyone else planning a trip during this time?

Stuff that's mainly on my radar:
Subic Bay: definitely want to dive the New York, El Capitan, and Oryoku Maru. I've booked lodging here in Barrio Barretto.
Malapascua: Monad Shoal, Gato Island. Anyone been to Kimud Shoal here?
Coron: Irako, Akitsushima, Okikawa Maru.

I believe the Hell Ship has been off-limited for many yrs in Subic.
Coming from PNG then you are probably used to slow travelling!

Have a nice one.

I've always enjoyed my stays at Arizona Dive Resort in Subic. Their dive shop is good, they specialize Tech Diving but all diving available. (Arizona was started by folks from AZ, but is now owned by an Australian guy, he's a pretty good guy.)

I'm staying at Mango's beachfront resort in Subic but was planning on doing my diving with Arizona. I was wondering about the name - everyone there seemed to be from the UK. I buddy wants to join me right at the planned end of my stay of 5 days. Do you think 7 days diving there might be too much as far as what is available to see? I'm guessing that there is enough to see on the major wrecks that 7 days would be okay.
I'm considering doing the wreck specialty course there. I've dove a good number of wrecks but never any penetrations further where I couldn't see where I entered.

Was at Subic early March for 6 days diving. 7 nights stay at Mangos. Did my diving with Sea Scan Divers. I would like to return as did not get all dives in that I wanted. Food was good at Mangos as was the accommodation. Diving service was good with Sea Scan. Would use both again on return visit. Went to Coron & El Nido after Subic. The wrecks at Coron we’re great & will definitely have to return to see the rest. Stayed at Amphibko & used their dive service as well. Accommodation was good food was fine. Lots of dining very close in Coron. Diving was good except that they did not have nitrox available but was not a deal breaker just prefer to dive nitrox. Service was great with hot meal served between 2 & 3rd dive. If I can help in any way don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Thanks for the info, Jack. Glad to hear you liked Mango's. I think I'll go with Reggae divers in Coron. Did you dive the Irako?

I'm doing Subic in a few weeks and haven't yet made any bookings so thanks for the thread.

For Coron, IMO, there's only one dive shop (and affiliated/owned) hotel to do; Corto Divers. Prices are great, DM/I's are excellent ... You'll go to all the wrecks depending how many days you have / what other clients have booked/asked for. Barracuda Lake is a must do ... it's like nothing else .... More info: Shipwrecks of Coron, Corto Divers and Corto del Mar.

Thanks for the info, Jay. I'll check out Corto. I'll be in Subic between 14 May and 20/21/22 May and probably dive with Arizona. Maybe I'll see ya out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom