Subic by day - what to do besides diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lifesabeach

Registered
Reaction score
Quick question...will be in Subic for a few days in Aug./ Sept.....may have a non diving day or some time in the afternoons as I prefer 2 dives a day....is there much to do there? Any beaches one could go to an enjoy?...must do trips to waterfalls or up a volcano....?..Thanks!

The Ocean Adventure park is popular - dolphin, sealion and high-diving shows etc.

There is the JEST camp - former US military jungle survival school, now open to the public. You can learn jungle survival techniques from the local mountain tribesmen. The hills around Subic Bay (on the Bataan side) are some of the best preserved primary rainforest in the world

Treetop Adventure is a raised walkway and zip-wire adventure through the jungle.

Zoobic Safari has mixed reviews. You can interact with animals there, but I've heard mixed reviews of the standard of care for them. Not been myself, so I can't confirm or deny that.

Lots of beaches you can trip to. The main ones; in SBMA and Baloy, aren't spectacular. Some of the beaches/coves further out in the bay are much nicer. There's a good beach at the resort linked with Ocean Adventure. Also, All-Hands beach is good.

It takes an hour or so (taxi/car) or get a bus from Olongapo to Dau and visit Mt Pinatubo; which is nearer to Clark/Angeles. You can hire a guide to help you hike up the volcano. It's a worthwhile daytrip.

Quick question...will be in Subic for a few days in Aug./ Sept.....may have a non diving day or some time in the afternoons as I prefer 2 dives a day....is there much to do there? Any beaches one could go to an enjoy?...must do trips to waterfalls or up a volcano....?..Thanks!

Hi, Do you live in the Philippines? I am in the states 5 months a year and in the Philippines 7 months. Last year I dove Subic Bay. You can check out this web site for where I stayed. They were super helpful. You can e-mail them and they will tell you any information you need to know about the area. That being said you may want to buy the book Subic Bay Travel and Diving Guide. You may also want to ask Johan to mail you the Blue-Book. I have a copy of both with me so let me know what you want to do and I will look it up. There is a mall near by. Subic and Olongapo are big cities in Philippine terms. There are bars all over and a very big night life. To me it is a bit skivy in Subic at night "on the strip" because all the bars have little girls out front looking for a date. No comment if this is good or bad, it is just not my scene. Prices are very low there too. I paid about $24 USD per day (P1000) for my room with A/C plus about $20 per diver (11 dives for P10,000). There is even a cheaper hotel down the block, a week is P3500 with A/C for 7 days called Palm Coast Inn. Where are you from? I am from Lancaster PA and live in Alaminos City Pangasinan Home of the 100 Islands in the Philippines.

http://www.subicdive.com

Just to mention, Johan's dives leave at 10 - 10:30 get back around 2PM then leave again at 3 - 3:30 for a one tank dive and you get back around 5PM or so. Not normal times for diving but I love being able to sleep in every day and not miss a dive.

I forgot to list this url.

http://www.blue-bookph.com

Craig

Last edited:
The Ocean Adventure park is popular - dolphin, sealion and high-diving shows etc.

There is the JEST camp - former US military jungle survival school, now open to the public. You can learn jungle survival techniques from the local mountain tribesmen. The hills around Subic Bay (on the Bataan side) are some of the best preserved primary rainforest in the world

Treetop Adventure is a raised walkway and zip-wire adventure through the jungle.

Zoobic Safari has mixed reviews. You can interact with animals there, but I've heard mixed reviews of the standard of care for them. Not been myself, so I can't confirm or deny that.

Lots of beaches you can trip to. The main ones; in SBMA and Baloy, aren't spectacular. Some of the beaches/coves further out in the bay are much nicer. There's a good beach at the resort linked with Ocean Adventure. Also, All-Hands beach is good.

It takes an hour or so (taxi/car) or get a bus from Olongapo to Dau and visit Mt Pinatubo; which is nearer to Clark/Angeles. You can hire a guide to help you hike up the volcano. It's a worthwhile daytrip.

I did the Mt Pinatubo hike last September. The hike is not bad, although it is longer than it apparently used to be - part of the road washed out. Some dumb*** in a group that came after us did it in flip-flops. Not advisable.

Definitely worth the hike.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom