Subic Bay - 17th Jul - 2 divers missing on USS New York

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about returning to the tie off point? Search and wait a bit and nothing happened.
As Steve is supposed to be very knowledgeable about the wreck and the two victims might have moved to somewhere else. So the third diver probably assumed that they would be safe, removed the safety line(his regret) and exit of the wreck. The safety line could be a line trap in poor vis.

You mean the diver got separated and was in zero viz... so he tied off his safety reel and exited the wreck. Having exited, he then re-entered the wreck to recover his line in zero viz? And then re-exited the wreck in zero viz..?

Such procedures aren't 'usually' taught on technical wreck courses. Leave a 'proven' exit line in place. Mark the direction of exit. Once outside, there are 2 courses of action; re-enter and search or search externally. Surface when deco/gas demands it.

Disregarding the potential seriousness of an incident, based on an assumption of a fellow divers' skill/experience, reeks of complacency. I'm not saying that this happened - this is just a generic learning point, brought about by discussion.

You mean the diver got separated and was in zero viz... so he tied off his safety reel and exited the wreck. Having exited, he then re-entered the wreck to recover his line in zero viz? And then re-exited the wreck in zero viz..?

Such procedures aren't 'usually' taught on technical wreck courses. Leave a 'proven' exit line in place. Mark the direction of exit. Once outside, there are 2 courses of action; re-enter and search or search externally. Surface when deco/gas demands it.

Disregarding the potential seriousness of an incident, based on an assumption of a fellow divers' skill/experience, reeks of complacency. I'm not saying that this happened - this is just a generic learning point, brought about by discussion.
He probably re-entered the wreck to the tie-off point and started searching or waiting.
Wreck divers tend to carry more than 2 reels/spools.
Waiting/searching in a confined space with near zero vis is no fun to anyone.
He then untied the safety line from the fixed object and exit the wreck. He might be using his light or whatever to reel the line.

Perhaps a Chinese speaking SB member could post there and extend to him an invitation to tell his story here in a non-censored, blame-free environment...
He speaks English, but the HK forum doesn't, otherwise I'd do so myself.

My GF is Chinese and Mandarin speaking, she can translate a text for you to very good mandarin (which also HK-people understand) but me nor she can make up the text. If you want the translate, please send a text in a PM and we will help you.

Anything to understand what happened!!

Edit: Typo

He probably re-entered the wreck to the tie-off point and started searching or waiting.
Wreck divers tend to carry more than 2 reels/spools.
Waiting/searching in a confined space with near zero vis is no fun to anyone.
He then untied the safety line from the fixed object and exit the wreck. He might be using his light or whatever to reel the line.

"Probably" is a strong assumption.

However, I would also assume that he had at least 2 reels.

--deleted by author---

Last edited:
Rovic,

This forum is dedicated to identifying errors and/or mispractices for the benefit of education and future accident mitigation. We aren't here to attribute blame or discuss legal repercussions. Please keep your inputs within the limitations of the rules, spelled out below:

I will draw your attention to the Special Forum Rules:

Special Rules for Accidents & Incidents Forum
The purpose of this forum is the promotion of safe diving through the examination and discussion of accidents and incidents; to find lessons we can apply to our own diving.

Accidents, and incidents that could easily have become accidents, can often be used to illustrate actions that lead to injury or death, and their discussion is essential to building lessons learned from which improved safety can flow. To foster the free exchange of information valuable to this process, the "manners" in this forum are much more tightly controlled than elsewhere on the board. In addition to the TOS:

(1) You may not release any names here, until after the names have appeared in the public domain (articles, news reports, sheriff's report etc.) The releasing report must be cited. Until such public release, the only name you may use in this forum is your own.
(2) Off topic posts will be removed and off topic comments will be edited.
(3) No flaming, name calling or otherwise attacking other posters. You may attack ideas; you may not attack people.
(4) No trolling; no blamestorming. Mishap analysis does not lay blame, it finds causes.
(5) No "condolences to the family" here. Please use our Passings Forum for these kinds of messages.
(6) If you are presenting information from a source other than your own eyes and ears, cite the source.
(7) If your post is your hypothesis, theory, or a "possible scenario," identify it as such.
(8) If your post is about legal action that concerns a mishap, use the Scuba Related Court Cases forum.

sorry devon,,i will delete that particular post about "legality"...my apology

the #4 doesn't apply to me.imo

"Probably" is a strong assumption.

However, I would also assume that he had at least 2 reels.
If he did not re-entry then how did he manage to withdraw the line?
The safety line should be tied off to a strong and stable point. It should not be dislodged by gentle pulling.
As you had already suggested: two actions (1) re-entry (2) search outside. He probably re-entry to the tie off point, search a while and then proceeded the second phase ie search outside.

If he did not re-entry then how did he manage to withdraw the line?
The safety line should be tied off to a strong and stable point. It should not be dislodged by gentle pulling.
As you had already suggested: two actions (1) re-entry (2) search outside. He probably re-entry to the tie off point, search a while and then proceeded the second phase ie search outside.

That is what concerns me.

To withdraw a line on exit, would mean he might have been taking a previously deployed (i.e. 'team') line... not a personal one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom