Subgravity Paragon harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find it kind of amusing how overengineered some of our gear components are if you are only looking at it in terms of applied loads. 2" harness webbing, 3mm (or even 6mm!) stainless steel backplates, stainless steel pass-through buckles and other hardware? You'd think we were dealing with a 10g environment instead of a 0 to 1g one.

Of course there are reasons for all this like comfort, ballast and corrosion resistance, but strength is really not an issue when talking about harnesses and backplate systems.

Sump UK also makes them
I can vouch for the piranha one though. Excellent quality

This buckle design goes back to at least World War I. It was (is?) widely used in militaries around the world. This image is from the 1950 US Divers (now Aqua Lung) catalog:

upload_2021-2-8_18-50-45.png

It works great as a quick release buckle as long as there is some tension on it.

Still not findong many sources for just the hardware, but will keep digging theough google.

What I would like to know is if the buckle causes any issues when donning/doffings ones kit. For instance has anyone experienced the buckle becoming undone when they have gone to lift their bp/w with tank to put on?...or is this something that is not an issue?

Thanks,
-Z

I use that buckle to create an extension 'loop' in a one-piece (Hogarthian) harness. Means I can get out of the rig in the water, especially if diving from a RIB. I've now got that on my Revo CCR so it's much easier to get out of it when back on the boat.

You only need about 6"/15cm extra harness to wriggle out, or get your arm under the strap. Using that type of buckle means it simply cannot break nor open by itself.

You'll need a couple of sliders; I've used the top one to hold a D-ring. The first and third images should show you the "knitting".

The rebreather harness is a lot more complex with two chest D-rings each side, so took a couple or three attempts to get it right!

Harness length adjustment is all done in the normal way; using the waistbelt.

Buckle2 - 1.JPG

Buckle2 - 2.JPG

Buckle2 - 3.JPG

@Wibble - Nice! Stealing that idea...

The last photo's the most important one; you need the top buckle to be close to the tri-glide, the lower one needs to be slightly longer to allow the buckle to pass through the other buckle(?). The overall 'loop' will take about 10", so make sure your webbing is a long enough.

I like the Halcyon webbing as it's Goldilocks: not too stiff, not to soft

I use that buckle to create an extension 'loop' in a one-piece (Hogarthian) harness. Means I can get out of the rig in the water, especially if diving from a RIB. I've now got that on my Revo CCR so it's much easier to get out of it when back on the boat.

You only need about 6"/15cm extra harness to wriggle out, or get your arm under the strap. Using that type of buckle means it simply cannot break nor open by itself.

You'll need a couple of sliders; I've used the top one to hold a D-ring. The first and third images should show you the "knitting".

The rebreather harness is a lot more complex with two chest D-rings each side, so took a couple or three attempts to get it right!

Harness length adjustment is all done in the normal way; using the waistbelt.

View attachment 641183

View attachment 641184

View attachment 641185

It took me a bit of studying the photos and goinf back to your text to understand what you have going on there. Plesse correct me if I am wrong....you have rigged this on a single length of webbing and extend the shoulder strap by unhooking the two parts of the buckle from each other.

If that is correct then that is genious, but is not what I am looking to do....my wife would like a harness with adjustable shoulder straps to make it easier to don/doff....I am an intersted in not dropping a bunch of coin on a prefab adjustable harness and instead just modify her hogarthian harness. If modifying hers works well I would be interested in modifying mine to make easier to adapt between my wet and dry suits.

But I still think what you have designed here is great.

Would you mind sharing where you sourced your buckles from?

-Z

I made one adjustable harness by creating my own version of the Halcyon Cinch. The one piece webbing slides in "box rings" rather than be fixed to the plate.similarly, I have front loops because I created fixed pieces of webbing with weight pouches, d-rings, and cutting tool pouches on it so it had to remain static. The waist belt slides in those to make it adjustable, kind of like a belt through loops on pants...
P_20210209_153325.jpg

there is more to it than that, but a general idea....
It does use a chest strap for stability.

You pull both waist straps, and is cinches the shoulder loops.

Not sure this conveys the idea, there are pictures here somewhere on SB, but are burried deep in a thread from back long ago...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom