SubDuck...Mini HammerHead.....which one??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are talking about the Scub Alert being loud, right?

thnaks, don

I use a sub duck here in Jeddah. I find it works above water and below just fine for my liking. If I were sooooooo far from the dive boat then there's the nifty safety sausage that connects to the dump valve on the lower left rear. I can inflate it with my LP inflator hose and don't have to take it out and inflate it manually. The dive boat is very good about keeping an eye out for errant divers on the surface, so we have no real need for an atomic-force surface only alert.

Only "problem" with sub ducks is that if more than one person has one, sometimes figuring out just who is quacking. Can sound like duck mating season sometimes, but otherwise good value for emergencies or just alerting other divers in the group. :madelf: :tree:

The SubDuck and ScubAlert are identical except for button shape and color. Both are made by the same Taiwan mfg and you can take the guts of one and put it in the other. Ideations never promoted the SubDuck as a surface signaler because a diver can yell louder and the DiveAlert is over 4 times louder.

Ideations Inc.
www.divealert.com

Dive-Alert - Surface Signal Device 135db
SubDuck - Underwater Signal Device
Mini Hammerhead - More Powerful Underwater Signal Device

Aquatec Inc.
www.aquatecusa.com

Sub-Alert - Underwater and Surface Signal Device 120db
Scub-Alert - Underwater and Surface Signal Device 120db

The Scub-Alert works the same as the Sub-Alert, but has a new look. Aquatec claims their product can be heard from 1/2 to 1 mile (1 mile = 5280 feet) away on the surface.

Explanation of Decibels:

Measured on an Exponential Scale

A 10 db increase is 10 times more powerful and seems about twice as loud.

A 20 db increase is 100 times more powerful (10x10) and seems about 4 times as loud.

See: http://www.schoolscience.co.uk/content/4/physics/corus/sound/psch1pg3.html

I've used the Dive Alert and it's plenty loud. The two occasions I've tried signaling the boat from about 150 feet away, they did not notice. Luckily it was not an emergency and the current was weak - I just wanted to signal them because I surfaced away from the boat in an unexpected direction. My experience may reflect the inattention of the crew rather then effectiveness of the Dive Alert, but you might want to make sure your dive boat knows you use an audible signal device before you dive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom