Subaru Outback ( ~2019 2.5 vs 3.6)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a 2018 Outback limited with the 2.5, even though I love it and plenty of room for scuba gear. I still wish I would have gone with the 3.6 for the power. You will also need these emblem decals: 20201125_124855.jpg 20201125_125313.jpg

Sold out. Bummer.

I have a 2018 Outback limited with the 2.5, even though I love it and plenty of room for scuba gear. I still wish I would have gone with the 3.6 for the power. You will also need these emblem decals: View attachment 675136 View attachment 675137

I don’t mind the power of the 2.5. I am a bit surprised about the fuel economy though. My driving is mostly city/around town or going ~75 MPH on the interstate, so I get ~26 MPG. If I realized it was going to be that bad, I might have just gone with the 3.6.

I can’t say that I’ve ever operated an AWD car that got great fuel economy though. Then again…if the fuel economy REALLY bugged me…I probably would have slowed down on the interstate by now, lol.

Problem with current Subarus is that they only come with a CVT transmission instead of a multi-speed automatic and a standard/stick shift is a bit of a unicorn given the limited number of available vehicles due to the chip shortage.

-Z

This is my first vehicle with a CVT. While I admit that it can seem a bit twitchy on occasion, it doesn’t take away from the overall appeal of the car to me.

That being said… If Subaru threw the STI engine in an Outback and put a 6 speed manual in it, I’d be like “shut up and take my money.”

For what it is though (very underpowered), it is surprisingly fun to drive around.

I don’t mind the power of the 2.5. I am a bit surprised about the fuel economy though. My driving is mostly city/around town or going ~75 MPH on the interstate, so I get ~26 MPG. If I realized it was going to be that bad, I might have just gone with the 3.6.

I can’t say that I’ve ever operated an AWD car that got great fuel economy though. Then again…if the fuel economy REALLY bugged me…I probably would have slowed down on the interstate by now, lol.

A little off topic, however if you will indulge me.

I bought a new 2001 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab, and took a job about six months later.

Another guy at my new job had an almost identical truck.

The only difference was I had bought mine with the 4.7 liter V8 and he had opted for the “more economical” 2.5 liter In-line 4.

Mine actually got better fuel mileage because they both weighed about the same and I had more power to accelerate the mass.

A little off topic, however if you will indulge me.

I bought a new 2001 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab, and took a job about six months later.

Another guy at my new job had an almost identical truck.

The only difference was I had bought mine with the 4.7 liter V8 and he had opted for the “more economical” 2.5 liter In-line 4.

Mine actually got better fuel mileage because they both weighed about the same and I had more power to accelerate the mass.

That doesn’t surprise me. In my case though, if I went with the 3.6, I’d probably be getting the very bottom end of the possible fuel economy out of that, too…which would put that at ~20 MPG.

Back
Top Bottom