Sub Forums

Sub Forums

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there a possibility that the Vintage Double Hose forum owner would be interested in merging their forums into ScubaBoard? If so, contact @The Chairman. VDH could keep the rest of their forum and link to ScubaBoard for forums if that works for them.

I see they run on phpBB Forum Software. There "might" be an import option into the xenForo software that ScubaBoard runs on. If that was the case, all the VDH forums could be transferred, probably under our Vintage forums. We would have to look deeper into how to handle VDH's Marketplace / Classifieds forums. It is easy to rename, move, merge, and add forums once imported into xenForo.

That conversation may be on the works. I don't know any of the details about that.

All the content form VDH may end up being archived into ScubaBoard, but again I am not directly involved with any of that. Hopefully @tbone1004 can explain that better.

This is just an effort to open some friendly sub-forums for a few of the most active subjects at VDH, to offer some possibility of continuity.

BTW, an interesting observation from the voting.

If you are not interested in one of the sub-forums subjects (just to give an example: vintage single hose), that is more of a reason for you to vote to add that subsection… Maybe you don’t want that to see all the posts about vintage single hose in the main section and they may need their own separate section. This is just an example and a suggestion… 😊

The same would apply to Modern Era Double hose diving. It is a spinoff of the vintage double hose, but it really needs its own space. It doesn't truly fit under vintage...

This is just an effort to open some friendly sub-forums for a few of the most active subjects at VDH, to offer some possibility of continuity.

Now I get it. Here are some half-baked thoughts off the top of my head.

I can see how creating these forums now "might" get pretty confusing if a merge occurs. I have no idea what the ratio on VDH is but ScubaBoard often has 3-4x and many "Guest" readers as members. Also, replicating forums could encourage "dual posting" before a merge. I can also see how replicating the forums now could be harmful VDH.

I would think that adding VDH forums under our current Vintage Diving forum would make sense. VDH's Compressor Talk "could probably" be merged and Vintage Dive Trips and Gatherings could stay or move to Regional Forums & Dive Clubs with a link in Vintage. The Bibliophile Forum could move to Diving Print & Digital Media with a link in Vintage.

We "might" be able to add a VDH title prefix to imported threads to minimize reader confusion? There has to be threads in VDH that would sound odd if read on ScubaBoard.

I don't have the feel for VHD forums beyond forum titles but I do know a lot about how ScubaBoard forums are organized. I would have to depend on you VDH vets to help me figure it out.

And you really had to quote all my typos before I corrected that sentence... lol :rolleyes:

:)

Now I get it. Here are some half-baked thoughts off the top of my head.

I can see how creating these forums now "might" get pretty confusing if a merge occurs. I have no idea what the ratio on VDH is but ScubaBoard often has 3-4x and many "Guest" readers as members. Also, replicating forums could encourage "dual posting" before a merge. I can also see how replicating the forums now could be harmful VDH.

I would think that adding VDH forums under our current Vintage Diving forum would make sense. VDH's Compressor Talk "could probably" be merged and Vintage Dive Trips and Gatherings could stay or move to Regional Forums & Dive Clubs with a link in Vintage. The Bibliophile Forum could move to Diving Print & Digital Media with a link in Vintage.

We "might" be able to add a VDH title prefix to imported threads to minimize reader confusion? There has to be threads in VDH that would sound odd if read on ScubaBoard.

I don't have the feel for VHD forums beyond forum titles but I do know a lot about how ScubaBoard forums are organized. I would have to depend on you VDH vets to help me figure it out.
Not looking at merging, too complex given multiple user databases. Current thinking is to lock the VDH forum and create a searchable archive but have no new postings allowed with all discussion occurring in these new subforums.

I’ve been around long enough to see that some people think that single hose regulators from Dacor and USD are “vintage” because they are made of metal, and date to the 1990s. But those regulators probably perform up to modern standards. So if we’re talking about a sub-forum of “vintage” single hose regulators, we may want to discuss what constitutes a “vintage single hose regulator.”

By the way, I voted for all the sub-forums as I think each of these has merit.

SeaRat

I personally don't have a lot of old school gear (besides steel tanks that last forever even in "modern" diving applications and a couple j-valves...) but I greatly value scubaboard having subforms that allows a space for various niche diving interests to connect in addition to more mainstream/popular diving interests especially since the more niche an interest the harder it is to find people keen to discuss it in a given area... (and in my opinion the more likely harsh misunderstandings can arise between very different but valid vantage points, such as a newly certified diver trained to watch tank pressure regularly and a nostalgic diver that doesn't even have a guage but is diving with so many years of experience that their remaining time on a given volume tank at a given depth is distilled to pure instinct with conservative rules of thumb...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom