Sub Forums

Sub Forums

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sub-forums, to try to have a bit of organization on some specific subjects.

I didn't think we need one for "vintage double hose", because that may be covered under the general vintage subject, but if you have a different opinion, please share it. Thanks

The "Vintage Gear-Misc" is supposed to cover: mask, fins, snorkel, weight belts, horse-collar flotation, etc., no regulators. I wanted to make sure other interest like that of @David Wilson were covered.

None. The 1st page has posts from a month ago still. It's not active enough to support more subfourms

Definitely parent-child relationship for subforum since technically the forum we are in is also a subforum, will have the mods change the title since it caused some issues.

@Whitrzac with the untimely passing of Bryan it appears that much of the traffic from the Vintage Double Hose forum that he hosted will be transferring over here in the near future. While it is not one of the most active subforums the board has, the VDH forum was reasonably active and it may help in organization but thanks for feedback! Decision will be made based on the number of votes thrown in

None. The 1st page has posts from a month ago still. It's not active enough to support more subfourms

Agreed. IMO, bunch of sub-forums would make it harder to find threads of interest due low activity. However, it would not be difficult to add some title prefix flags to make it easier to spot different subjects.

1668963042468.png

The options in the poll might be a bit too granular. I would think one prefix for Regulators would be fine. Meetings instead of Gatherings might work. How about Repair and Media (TV, movies, videos, magazines, and books)?

Also not that you can limit searches to this forum where you can look for key words in titles, tags, and specific title prefixes:

The sub-forums I proposed are based on the most active sub-forums at VDH. These were subjects that seemed that needed to be a bit segregated from the general "vintage double hose" discussions. And it appeared to be a successful approach since they experienced some of the most traffic and posts.

By segregating subjects like "vintage single hose", "modern double hose", gatherings and trips, etc. it actually encouraged many posters over at VDH to start new threads in those specific subjects (without feeling like they were posting in the wrong place).

It was successful, but to be fair, some activity decreased in the last couple of years...

Help me differentiate between Classifieds subforums and topic subforums.
I could see having all five, with the first three being Classifieds, although Classified: Vintage tanks could also just go in Tanks.
I think Gatherings and Modern DH Diving could warrant separate subforums. We can always fold a sub back into Vintage Equipment & Diving if there's insufficient activity.

As I mentioned above (but probably didn't explained well), my suggestions for new sub-forums came from the requests and experience that came from VDH.

Some sub-forums really wanted to be a separate section even if the amount of traffic was relatively lower then other. An example was the gatherings. That section has been used for years to plan vintage dive gatherings without conflicting with others planning gatherings in other parts of the country (or world).
Having all the threads in one location had a big benefit without having to search every-time and not knowing what to search for.

The vintage tank and valves is not as important, but reserve valves and some of the single outlet multi-tank manifolds really get no respect in the modern tank section. And what I mean is almost harassment, by some that don't understand their proper use and respected place in diving history.

The vintage single hose is also a very important subsection to discuss the use and preservation of the early single hose regulators. Single hose regulators are not as collectable, but they need their own space.

I can go on and describe the reason for the 5 sections that We are suggesting... I actually started with a longer list. But thinking that it is based on just the volume or traffic, IMHO it kinds of misses the point of certain discussions.

We found that if we did not have the separate section for some subjects, the topics and the discussion were never going to occur.

This is all my opinion, based on my observations from VDH.

@rsingler , I am not sure what you mean by Classified sub-forum.

Thanks

Help me differentiate between Classifieds subforums and topic subforums.
I could see having all five, with the first three being Classifieds, although Classified: Vintage tanks could also just go in Tanks.
I think Gatherings and Modern DH Diving could warrant separate subforums. We can always fold a sub back into Vintage Equipment & Diving if there's insufficient activity.
Parent subforum for Classifieds has all of the child subforums which includes Vintage. This is linked to from the vintage subforum that this post is part of. We go from Forums-Marketplace-Classified-Vintage
1669074238481.png

Where we are here Forum-Explore-Vintage has no subforums beneath Vintage to organize threads.
1669074281745.png

We are trying to have Forums-Explore-Vintage-Vintage Single Hose Regulators and the other ones listed to try to help organize the content. Not terribly useful if people are using the search function but if they are browsing it does help considerably to have the extra layer of topics and for guys like me I always look at that header to figure out "Where" I am to make sure I am responding appropriately.

Back
Top Bottom