Stupid Decisions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jywemsguy

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I spent the weekend at Mermet Springs completing some work on my advanced open water course, and during a night dive, I managed to put myself into a very scary situation.

My buddy and I were on a night dive, playing around the 727 they have sunk there. Feeling quite adventuous, I decided we should enter the cargo hold through the opening on the underside of the plane. My buddy followed me in through the opening, and we kicked up the visibility so bad I could barely see my gauges in front of my mask. My dive light made the situation look like a zero-visibilty sand storm or something... In any case, not being able to see, stuck in an aircraft aluminum hold, not knowing where the exit was was a little nerve racking. The worst part about it was they were playing country music over the water speakers.

Though process:
1. I am not dying to country music
2. Calm down, or you're gonna suck your tank dry.
3. Check your air: 1500 psi. Got some time...
4. Can't see, but you know how a 727 is designed. Use your head, use your hands, and find that damn exit.
5. This is taking way too long...
6. You're an idiot for coming in here without a line.
7. Found it!

In hindsight, while this wasn't anywhere near as dangerous/extreme as being stuck in some 13 deck wreck in 100ft of water, it was my first experience of it's kind(low to no vis, one exit out of an otherwise closed environment). I'm not proud of the stupid mistakes that I know I shouldn't have made, but I'm pleased with the way I handled my escape.

Lessons learned:
1. Use a reel Use a reel Use a reel
2. Make a plan before you go willy nilly into such an environment.
3. Find a buddy who knows how to use a non-silting kick.

Edit: Forgot the whole point of this post. I'd like to hear some other people tell us about their first major screw-up in the water. The best lessons are the really hard ones.

Grasshopper..."What doesn't kill you, makes you smarter" Good lesson learned I think. We often do things at times while diving, that might seem to be over the top, Diving is in itself dangerous and I think we are all adrenline junkies a little bit....

Good lesson-learned story. Glad to see you handled it well. So many have things like this happen and then learn nothing from it.

can u scuba dive if your siezures are well controlled, only happen when you wake up in the morning, only last about 5 minutes,there is a warning like 5 to 10 minutes before the actual siezure, and i dont loose conciousness, my breathing stays normal My thinking isnt altered during most of the 5 minutes either.i also dont shake and have horrible convutions. just my right arm shakes a little. im quiet limber while i have them actually. I havent had a siezure in years to(but im on a very low dows of meds). if i had a helmet and maintained my breathing wouldnt i be safe

what im saying is do you think it would be safe enough

The lesson you forgot...stop diving where they blast country music! (if there has to be music, why can't it be Pink Floyd?)

Chalk it up to experience..and be glad you "lived to tell the tale"!

Nothing crazy stupid QUITE yet....One night we found out that "cluster diving" isn't a good thing if you don't have a totally designated buddy, but nothing overly life threatening!

Buoyant1:
The lesson you forgot...stop diving where they blast country music! (if there has to be music, why can't it be Pink Floyd?)

They will play Pink Floyd if you request it! I've made a night dive to it there. They will also let you bring your own CD and play it, if it isn't something that other divers present at the time may object to.

And that cargo hold can be a scary place. Shouldn't be there without a guide line and the training and experience to know how to truly use it.

Happy and safe diving everyone,

theskull

Dude, you came really close to being another statistic. I hope this scared you, because I would hate to have another diver die needlessly.

You NEED training to do dives involving anything overhead, and you NEED the proper equipment. Please take this lesson, learn from it, and never let it happen again.

Dive safe, my friend.

PfcAJ,

I've been trained in overhead, but being the stupid n00b, in netgamer speak, I decided i had the skills to go in anyway. It was a really bad decision that will more then likely stick with me for the rest of my life...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom