Student lost - Seattle, Washington

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Search was transitioned to recovery by midnight: UPDATE: Rescue now transitioned to recovery for woman diving off Harbor Ave.; Possible drowning | Westside Seattle

Water rescue underway for missing scuba diver
SEATTLE — A water rescue is underway for a missing scuba diver off West Seattle.

First responders were called Saturday night to the 1600 block of Harbor Avenue Southwest for a missing diver.

Right now rescue swimmers and divers are looking for a woman, age 30 to 35, who never resurfaced.

Seattle Fire said the missing diver was part of a dive class.

Rescuers have been searching for the missing diver for more than an hour.

This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.

The body of a scuba diver was recovered by the Seattle Fire Department on Sunday morning at Seacrest Park in West Seattle, in the same area where a diver had been reported missing Saturday night.

The King County Medical Examiner’s Office is expected to verify the identity of the deceased.

A 33-year-old woman was reported missing at 10 p.m. Saturday after failing to resurface at the end of a dive class at Seacrest Cove 2, a popular diving location. The woman was accompanied by six other students and two diving instructors, according to Fire Department spokesperson Kristin Tinsley.

Seattle fire and police conducted a search at the diver’s last known location near a sunken boat, known as the Honeybear boat wreck, Saturday night before the search was suspended at 12:30 a.m. Sunday.

Divers from the Seattle police’s harbor patrol planned to resume the search Sunday morning, but four recreational divers on an unrelated dive in Seacrest Cove discovered a diver’s body at around 11:30 a.m. before police arrived. The body was found about 35 feet down near the Honeybear wreck.

Two of the divers emerged upon discovering the body, waving their arms in the water and yelling for help. The cove, usually busy with divers and classes, was quiet Sunday morning, but two people preparing diving gear on the shore called 911.

The divers declined to comment.

“This is the first scuba diver in the city of Seattle that I’m aware of that we’ve responded to (recently),” Tinsley said. “We never want to see tragedies like this strike.”

What is the visibility like in that area of the country?

The article reads 'didn't resurface'. I'd say that's a VERY FAVORABLE description on the instructor.... It sounds more like 'student lost'.

Vis can be as little as 2', normal is 10-15', anything over 20' is considered pretty good there. Silty bottom, easy to kick up, and it takes a good while to settle out.
Did my OW1 there a couple decades ago. Surface down to 15' the 2nd day was about a foot. Probably 20' under that until the class thrashed by.

Sounds like this was a night dive, but it stays light out till about 9:30 this time of year in the PNW, so that’s why I ask. I’m really curious of what happened because it’s a relatively shallow dive in what I assume is an area without strong currents. Also, according to the article it was one instructor per 3 students, which is a good ratio for safety. Hoping someone on that dove will post something.

Vis can be as little as 2', normal is 10-15', anything over 20' is considered pretty good there. Silty bottom, easy to kick up, and it takes a good while to settle out.
Did my OW1 there a couple decades ago. Surface down to 15' the 2nd day was about a foot. Probably 20' under that until the class thrashed by.
Does this wreck they dove on pose significant risks of entanglement or entrapment?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom